Research in the School of International Communications
Research at the School of International Communications is multi-disciplinary, including media and communication studies, film and television studies, journalism, mobile studies, and game studies.
If you have any questions about the research at the School of International Communications, get in touch with our director of research Associate Professor Teodor Mitew.
The School of International Communications is an Institutional Member of the following Professional Organisations:
International Communication Section IAMCR
International Communication Association
Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association
- Wilson, A. S., Gaffney, V., Gaffney, C., Ch’ng, Eugene, Bates, R., Ichumbaki, E. B., ... & Coningham, R. (2022). Curious Travellers: Using Web-Scraped and Crowd-Sourced Imagery in Support of Heritage Under Threat. In Visual Heritage: Digital Approaches in Heritage Science (pp. 51-65). Springer, Cham.
- Murgatroyd P., Ch’ng Eugene, Kabora T. and Butler M. (2022) Simulating a Drowned Landscape: A Four-dimensional Approach to Solving Problems of Behaviour and Scale, in Gaffney V.L. and Fitch S. (Eds), Europe's Lost Frontiers: Volume 1, Archaeopress Archaeology.
- Li, Y., Ch’ng, Eugene, S. Cobb and S. See (2022) Presence and Communication in Hybrid Virtual and Augmented Reality Environments, PRESENCE Special Issue on Virtual and Augmented Reality Special Issue on User Experience and Engagement.
- Ch’ng Eugene (2022) Virtual Environments as Memory Anchors. In Ch’ng E., Chapman H., Gaffney V. and Wilson, A. (eds.), Visual Heritage: Digital Approaches in Heritage Science, Springer Cultural Computing Series.
- Ch’ng Eugene, Chapman H., Gaffney V., Wilson, A. (eds.) (2022) Visual Heritage: Digital Approaches in Heritage Science, Springer Cultural Computing Series.
- Gilardi, Filippo, White, A., Chen, T., Cheng, S., Song, W., & Zhao, Y. (2022) From copycat to copyright: intellectual property amendments and the development of Chinese online video industries. International Journal of Cultural Policy. https://doi.org/10.1080/10286632.2022.2040494
- Filippo Gilardi, Andrew White, Zhen Troy Chen, Shuxin Cheng, Wei Song & Yifan Zhao (2022) From copycat to copyright: intellectual property amendments and the development of Chinese online video industries, International Journal of Cultural Policy, DOI: 10.1080/10286632.2022.2040494
- Wyatt Moss-Wellington, Celia Lam & Filippo Gilardi (2022) Introduction: media and fakery, Continuum, 36:3, 333-338, DOI: 10.1080/10304312.2022.2063259
- Filippo Gilardi and Celia Lam (2022) New perspective on UGC, PGC, and OGC: motivating factors of Chinese co-creators’ engagement with international television series, Creative Industries Journal, DOI: 10.1080/17510694.2022.2150816
- Jamil, S., & Retis, J. (2022). Media Discourses and Representation of Marginalized Communities in Multicultural Societies. Journalism Practice (Online first, 14th November). https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17512786.2022.2142839
- Jamil, S. (2022). COVID-19 Pandemic and Science Reporting in Pakistan. Media Asia (Online first, October 31) https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/01296612.2022.2137658
- Jamil, S., Iqbal, A., Ittefaq, M., & Kamboh, S. (2022). Building a Media Literate Society: Pathways to Improve Media and Information Literacy Education in Pakistan. Journalism & Mass Communication Educator (Online first, September 26) https://doi.org/10.1177/10776958221125358
- Jamil, S. & Bhuju, K. (2022). Environmental Journalism Education Beyond the Conventional Pedagogical Approaches: Exploring the Scope of Experiential Learning to Train Pakistan’s Journalism Students. Media Asia (Online first, May 11). https://doi.org/10.1080/01296612.2022.2067946
- Jamil, S., Panagiotou, N., Fragkonikolopolous, C., & Gladkova, A. (2022). Media Sustainability in the Pandemic Conflicting World: Reflections from Diverse Perspectives. World of Media. Journal of Russian Media and Journalism Studies 2, 5-12. https://10.30547/worldofmedia.2.2022.1
- Jamil, S. (2022). Digital Transformation in Journalism: Implications of Media Convergence for Journalists’ Work in Pakistan’s Mainstream News Media. In Niko Alm, Paul Murschetz, Franzisca Weder & Mike Friedrichsen (Eds.), Die digitale Transformation der Medien, pp. 443-458. Springer: Germany.
- Kishore, V. (2022) The caste blindness of Bollywood NRI genre films, Senses of Cinema, 1 May 2022
- Kishore, V. (2022) Analysing the “Festival Les Cultures Du Monde” of Gannat as a site for Celebrating Cultural Diversity! Global Media Journal, Indian Edition. 14, 1, 24 p.
- Lam, Celia, & Raphael, J. (2022) Celebrity Bromance: Constructing, Interpreting and Utilising Personas. Oxon: Routledge.
- Raphael, J., Lam, Celia (2022). Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock: Person and Promotion. Celebrity Studies, 13 (2), 171-184. https://doi.org/10.1080/19392397.2022.2063398
- Moss-Wellington, W., Lam, Celia, & Gilardi, Filippo (2022). Introduction to media and fakery. Continuum Journal of Media and Cultural Studies, 36 (3), 333-338.
- Zhang, Xiaoling and Schultz, Corey K.N. (2022) “Communication China to the World: Representations, Reception, and Effects” in China and the World in the 21st Century: Communication and Relationship Building, edited by Xiaoling Zhang and Corey Schultz. London: Routledge.
- Zhang, Xiaoling and Schultz, Corey K.N. (eds.) (2022) China and the World in the 21st Century: Communication and Relationship Building. London: Routledge.
- Schultz, Corey KN. “Treasures from the Wreck of the Unbelievable, Falsified Heritage, and the Effects of the Fake.” International Journal of Heritage Studies, 28:7 (2022), 836-384. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13527258.2022.2091639
- Schultz, Corey K.N. (2022) Museums, Affect, and Soft Power: The Harbin Jewish Museum, in China and the World in the 21st Century: Communication and Relationship Building, edited by Xiaoling Zhang and Corey Schultz. London: Routledge.
- Whyke, Thomas W. (2022). Discourses of Heteronormativity and Power: The Ethical Position of Confucianism on Same-Sex Behaviour in China. Journal of Homosexuality. Online First. https://doi.org/10.1080/00918369.2022.2042663
- Lopez, J.M., & Whyke, T.W.* Double Consciousness of Chinese Modernity: In the Cosmopolitan Ruins of Shanghai. Fudan Journal of the Humanities and Social Sciences. (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40647-022-00348-8
- Hu, J.Y., Whyke, T.W.,* & Lopez, J.M. Investigating Media Coverage and Public Perceptions of the HPV Vaccine in China – A Content Analysis of Weibo Posts. Sexuality and Culture. (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12119-022-10017-3
- Peng, A.Z.,* Whyke. T.W., & Zhang. S.I. Understanding the Russian Invasion of Ukraine through a Gendered Prism. Feminist Media Studies. (2022). https://doi.org/10.1080/14680777.2022.2137831
- Whyke, T.W., Chen, Z.T.,* & Lopez, J.M. An Analysis of Cultural Dissemination and National Image Construction in Chinese Influencer Li Ziqi’s Vlogs and its Impacts on International Viewer Perceptions on YouTube. The Journal of Chinese Sociology. (2022). https://doi.org/10.1186/s40711-022-00173-2
- Whyke, T.W.,* Chen, Z.T., Lopez, J.M., Wang, A. Unboxing the Chinese Blind Boxes among China’s grown-up missing children: Probabilistic and elastic prosumption through mediated collection, exchange and resale of figurines. Global Media and China. (2022). https://doi.org/10.1177/20594364221140812
- Lopez, J.M., & Whyke, T.W.* Reimagining Affection in a Changing Shanghai: A Rhizomatic Young Cartography of Birdhead’s Contemporary Photography. Asian Studies. (2023). Accepted and Forthcoming.
- Chen, Z. T., & Whyke, Thomas W. (2022) Manufacturing and commodifying “Chineseness: Cultural diplomacy through a food-vlogger Li Ziqi and her media representation on YouTube”. In Zhang, X., & Schultz, C. (eds.), China and the World in the 21st Century: Communication and Relationship Building. London, UK: Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781003254157-12
- Lopez, J.M., & Whyke, Thomas W. (2022) Double consciousness of Chinese modernity: in the cosmopolitan ruins of Shanghai. Fudan Journal of the Humanities and Social Sciences. Online First. (Forthcoming).
- Zhang, Shixin (ed.) (2022) Digital Journalism in China, London: Routledge Focus.
- Zhang, Shixin & Meng, Jing (2022) Conclusion: retrospect and prospect, in Zhang, S. (ed.) Digital Journalism in China, London: Routledge Focus.
- Zhang, Shixin & Meng, Jing (2022) Introduction: Chinese digital journalism: disruptive or sustainable?, in Zhang, S. (ed.) Digital Journalism in China, London: Routledge Focus.
- Meng, Jing & Zhang, Shixin (2022) Immersive Journalism and New Audience Relationship, in Ville J. E. Mannine, V. J.E., Niemi, M. K. & Anthony Ridge-Newman, A. (eds.) Futures of Journalism Technology-stimulated Evolution in the Audience-News Media Relationship, Palgrave MacMillan