Accessing our sites
Due to the nature of the internet the University can't guarantee that our sites or the websites to which our sites are linked will always be available to you. If the need arises, the University reserves the right to amend, suspend or withdraw the sites that we provide without notice. The University will not be liable if for any reason our site or others are unavailable at any time or for any period.
If you choose, or are provided with a password or any other log in details to access any part of our sites, you agree:
- to treat such log in information as confidential and not disclose it to any third party.
- to ensure that any details supplied to us in order to register access are accurate and to advise us promptly in the event that any such details change.
You are responsible for making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to our sites. You are also responsible for ensuring that all persons who access our sites through your internet connection are aware of these terms, and that they comply with them.
The University is the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in our sites, the technical infrastructure relating to them, and in the material published on them. Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.
Subject to the restrictions set out below, you may download, view and print material from our sites for your personal non-commercial use and for internal non-commercial circulation within your organisation. No other use is permitted without our prior written consent. In particular, you may not use any part of the materials on our sites for commercial purposes without obtaining our prior written consent.
You must not modify the paper or digital copies of any materials you have printed off or downloaded in any way, and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text.
The University's status (and that of any identified contributors) as the authors of material on our sites must always be acknowledged. No trade mark, copyright or other proprietary notices contained in or appearing on material from our site should be altered or removed in whole or in part.
The permission to reproduce material does not extend to material identified as belonging to third parties, where you must obtain the permission of the relevant owners before reproducing such material.
Reliance on Information Posted
Our sites have been prepared with the primary aim of providing information for and about the University, detailing what we do and how we do it, and to support the many knowledge management and business process requirements both inside and outside of the organisation. Although the University endeavours to ensure that the information on our sites is accurate at the time of publication, any of the information on our site may be out of date or incomplete at any given time. If you believe that any information on our site is inaccurate please let the University know and we will investigate this. The University disclaims all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance on information placed on our sites/services by any visitor to our site, or by anyone who may be informed of any of its contents.
Where the University makes research papers, personal commentaries, statistical analyses, corporate data and other third party material available on our sites, we do not control and do not necessarily endorse their contents or findings in any way, and we are not responsible for the accuracy or otherwise of such material.
The material displayed on our sites is provided without any guarantees, conditions or warranties as to its accuracy. To the extent permitted by law, we hereby expressly exclude:
- all conditions, warranties and other terms which might otherwise be implied by statute, common law or the law of equity.
- any liability for any direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage incurred by any user in connection with our sites or in connection with the use, inability to use, or results of the use of our sites, any websites linked to them and any materials posted on them, including, without limitation, loss of income or revenue; loss of business; loss of profits or contracts; loss of anticipated savings; loss of data; loss of goodwill; wasted management or office time; and
- any liability for any other loss or damage of any kind, however arising and whether caused by tort (including negligence), breach of contract or otherwise, even if foreseeable, provided that this condition shall not prevent claims for loss of or damage to your tangible property or any other claims for direct financial loss that are not excluded by any of the categories set out above.
Information about you and your visits to our sites
The University aims to make our sites and the material provided on them accessible to as many people as possible. We endeavour to ensure that our sites have been tested on all commonly used browsers and on a number of screen readers, but please note that you may see inconsistencies in the presentation of pages if you are using an older or deprecated version of a browser.
You may use our sites only for lawful purposes. You may not use our sites:
- in any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation.
- in any way that is unlawful, fraudulent or harmful to other users, or has any unlawful, fraudulent or harmful purpose or effect.
- to transmit, or produce the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam).
- to knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, spyware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
You also agree not to access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt any part of our sites; any equipment or network on which our sites are stored; any software used in the provision of our sites; or any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third party.
Viruses, Computer Misuse and other Offences
You must not misuse our sites by knowingly introducing viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to our sites, the server on which the sites are stored or any server, computer or database connected to our sites. You must not attack our sites via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of-service attack.
By breaching this provision, you would commit a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. The University may report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, your right to use our sites will cease immediately.
The University will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by a distributed denial-of-service attack, viruses or other technologically harmful material that may infect your computer equipment, computer programmes, data or other proprietary material due to your use of our sites or to your downloading of any material posted on it, or on any website linked to it. You should ensure that you have appropriate protection against viruses and other security arrangements in place when using the internet.
Links from our sites
Where our sites contain links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only. The University has no control over the contents of those sites or resources, and accept no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them.
Suspension and Termination
The University will determine, in our discretion, whether there has been a breach of these terms through your use of our sites. When a breach of these terms has occurred, the University may take such action as we deem appropriate.
- immediate, temporary or permanent withdrawal of your right to use controlled areas of our sites.
- immediate, temporary or permanent removal of any posting or material uploaded by you to our sites.
- issue of a warning to you.
- legal proceedings against you for reimbursement of all costs on an indemnity basis (including, but not limited to, reasonable administrative and legal costs) resulting from the breach.
- further legal action against you.
- disclosure of such information to law enforcement authorities as the University reasonably feels is necessary.
To the extent permitted by law, the University excludes liability for actions taken in response to breaches of these terms. The responses described in these terms are not limited, and we may take any other action we reasonably deem appropriate.
University Disciplinary Procedures
Use of our sites by staff or students of the University of Nottingham will also be subject to the rules and provisions set out in the applicable University Disciplinary Procedures and Codes of Discipline.
Jurisdiction and Applicable Law
The English courts will have exclusive jurisdiction over any claim arising from, or related to, a visit to our sites although the University retains the right to bring proceedings against you for breach of these conditions in your country of residence or any other relevant country.
The trademarks and logos (including the University of Nottingham "castle" logo) used and displayed on our sites are our registered and unregistered trademarks or those of others. You may not use these trademarks without our prior written permission or that of the owner(s) of the trademark(s) in question.
If you have any concerns about material which appears on our site, please contact our Communications and Marketing office.
Thank you for visiting our various sites.