University of Nottingham Ningbo China
Study with us
  • Intranet

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

What if my qualifications do not appear on your website?

The University has a wide understanding of school-leaving qualifications from overseas countries and works closely with the British Council, both in the UK and abroad, to ensure all applications are properly considered. For further information on how your qualifications may entitle you to study at The University of Nottingham Ningbo China, please contact the International Admissions Team at

How should I submit the application documentation?

Submit all required documentation by original or scan by the deadline in one single package. Transcripts, certificates and other formal academic credentials not in English must be translated by a certified translator. If you're currently completing courses, send a transcript showing your course enrolment and grades to date as soon as you apply and then again at the end of the semester. If you are sending your application by email, you will be asked for your original documentation upon enrolment.

Can I submit photocopies of the application documents?

Photocopies/scanned/faxed copies of these documents are acceptable when making an application, and we would be happy to make an offer of a place based on copies of the documents. However, you are required to provide original proof of your degree and grade where applicable prior to starting the course. You will not be permitted to register without it.
We would also accept copies certified by the applicant's school/university with their original stamps and signatures (on university headed paper, preferably) and copies certified by our admissions staff who have sighted originals. 

Can the documentation submitted be returned to me?

No. You should not submit any supporting material (including essays) that you would like returned to you. It is the University's policy not to return application materials.

Can the time spent and grades achieved in ESL courses be counted towards meeting English Language Requirement?

No. Language requirements will not be waived based on ESL course grades. The University of Nottingham Ningbo China reserves the right to require a successfully completed language proficiency test, such as TOEFL or IELTS.

When will I receive some confirmation that my application has been received?

You will receive an email acknowledging your application approximately five business days after we receive your application.

When will I receive a decision?

It depends on how quickly we receive your application, fee and all supporting documentation. Once we’ve received your completed application, fee and all supporting documentation, it takes approximately two weeks to process complete applications.

How will I be notified about the decision?

If you've been admitted, you will receive an email or telephone call, in addition to an offer package from The University of Nottingham Ningbo China. Please read the materials in the package carefully – it will outline your next steps and any conditions on our offer of admission.

What if my school/university/IELTS results are released after 31st May? Can I still apply?

Yes, you can still apply. After submitting an application, if you obtain an offer, you will have until July 15th to supply your final results. If you results are released after this date, please inform us asap so that we can advise you. It is fine to include your results so far in your application, and/or your estimated test date for IELTS/TOEFL.

What happens if I apply after the application deadline or if my documents (such as transcripts or reference letters) arrive after the deadline?

Applications or supporting documentation received after the deadline will be considered in the order received if vacancies remain for the chosen degree.

My address, telephone number or passport number has changed. How do I inform you?

If there are any changes, please update your information by contacting the International Admissions Team at t: 86 (0) 574 8818 0000-8921or email to

What happens if I do not get accepted into my first choice?

If you are not admitted into your first choice of degree, we will automatically consider you for the next degree choice you are eligible for.

Can I defer my admission until next year?

You can request a deferral once. Only newly admitted students may request a deferral and requests must be made in writing, along with a reason for requesting the deferral. We look at each request on an individual basis and respond with our decision in writing. Requests for deferred entry beyond once may be considered on a case by case basis.

I’ve been admitted, can I change to another course?

When you make this request, you shall submit a new application form to the Admissions and Career Development Office. Additional documentation may be required.