||Doctoral Training Partnership Scholarships at UNNC and IGSNRR, CAS
|Length of Scholarship
||Up to 36 months, subject to satisfactory progression
||Faculty of Science and Engineering
||13 February 2023
||15 October 2022 China Standard Time (CST)
The available PhD scholarship cover
- Tuition Fee
- Monthly stipend (RMB3,500)
- Monthly accommodation allowance while based at UNNC and accommodation for PhD candidate only while based at IGSNRR (accommodation type is based on availability)
- Medical insurance with designated providers
- All above items are covered for up to 36 months based on satisfactory progression
- All regulations set out in the UNNC PhD Scholarship Policy apply
In addition to the above scholarship, successful candidates also have the opportunity to carry out teaching (after the completion of Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) training) or research assistant duties at UNNC since second year of their PhD programmes.
Available PhD topics
- A comparative study on the response of zonal vegetation phenology to major climatic factors in different vegetation regions in China
- Analysis of the relationship between the impact of water resources on animal husbandry in the Selenga River Basin, Mongolia
- Evaluation and application of resilient cities and human settlements toward sustainable development goals
- Evaluation of effects of the “Sponge City” program for urban water disasters control in China
- Plant response and adaptation to environmental change
- The abundance of trace elements in typical regions in China: human health, geochemical characteristics, spatio-temporal distributions, and determining factors
- The distribution and enrichment of key life trace elements in Cenozoic coal-measure strata as an indicator of past environmental change
- Variation of glacier/snow cover and its influences on the hydro-climatic process on Tibetan Plateau
For details of the topics, please click "Research area and potential supervisors".
PhD programme structure
PhD programmes at the UNNC are composed of 3 years research and a 1 year thesis pending period for full time PhDs. Full time PhDs are expected to submit their theses within a maximum of four years from initial registration.
PhD supervision is undertaken jointly by academics from University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC); Institute of Geographic Sciences and Natural Resource Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences (IGSNRR, CAS) and University of Nottingham UK (UNUK). Students must be based at UNNC for a minimum of 50% of the PhD duration, i.e. 18 months of the 36 months.
On successful completion of the PhD, the students will be awarded a PhD degree from University of Nottingham. No reference will be made on the degree certificate as to where the degree has been completed. The University of Nottingham PhD degree is accredited by the Chinese Ministry of Education and the UK Quality Assurance Agency.
Applicants considering to apply for PhD Scholarship must have met the entry requirements of a PhD programme first. More details can be found on the 'entry requirements' page of the website.
Applicants must have a master degree with minimum average score of 65% and degree classification Merit or above from a British university. Applicants also should hold a bachelor degree at upper second class or above level. Applicants from institutions where different score system is used must have achieved an equivalent level of performance to the above.
Faculty of Science and Engineering also considers bachelor degree only holders with first class honours from a British university, or the equivalent from other institutions.
Applicants must meet the required English language proficiency for the relevant subject area.
IELTS 6.5 (minimum 6.0 in all elements) or its equivalent is required for Faculty of Science and Engineering (FoSE) scholarship applicants.
How to apply
No separate application is required for applying for a scholarship but please make sure you select the correct scholarship reference number in the PhD application system. A list of required documents can be found on the 'how to apply' page.