About Exchange/Study Abroad Program
University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) welcomes students from around the world to complete a semester or a year of study as part of your university education and to gain credit towards your degree. You must have successfully completed at least one year of study at your home university in order to participate in the programme.
The Exchange Programme is designed for students from our partner universities worldwide who wish to spend a period of time studying at UNNC, earning credits to transfer back to their home university.
The Study Abroad Programme is ideal for students from outside China who want to spend a period of time studying in China, earning credits to transfer back to their home institution. Study abroad students are able to apply from any university/agent. An agreement between UNNC and your home university is not necessary.
Study Area at UNNC
Students are required to undertake a full time course of study for one or two semesters. Modules are normally worth 10-20 credits each. The average full time workload is 60 Nottingham credits (30 ECTS credits) in one semester and 120 credits (60 ECTS credits) over two semesters in one year; 50 credits is the minimum full-time workload in one semester.
UNNC offers a wide range of subjects for your period of study abroad, including Business, International Communications, International Studies, Economics, Science and Engineering, English at different level including UG and PG. For more detail, please visit our website:
Select your modules
Students should choose modules at the appropriate Level (Year) for their own degree program. It is acceptable to choose module cross different schools if this approved by your home university.
For module details, please refer to the UNNC module catalogue:
(The third character of the module code indicates the module level)
- Level 0: For UNNC Undergraduate Year 1 students
Example: H10FM1 Foundation Mechanics
- Level 1: For UNNC Undergraduate Year 2 students (UK Year 1 students)
Example: CS1811 Japanese 1A
- Level 2: For UNNC Undergraduate Year 3 (UK Year 2 students)
Example: P12406 Quantitative Methods 2A
- Level 3: For UNNC Undergraduate Year 4 students (UK Year 3 students)
Example: AS3001 China and the World
- Level 4: For UNNC Postgraduate students
Example: ES4141 World English: East and South-East Asia
You must be nominated by your home university in order to participate the Exchange programme. You are advised to contact Global Engagement Office or equivalent at your home university who will be able to advise you on their application and selection process, as well as any internal deadlines. Your home university will then nominate you to UNNC Global Engagement Office by email.
Study Abroad Program
You can directly apply UNNC study abroad programme by Global Engagement Office. But before you lodge in your application, you should get an approval letter from your home university and your module selection should also be approved by your home school to ensure that your credit can be transferred back successfully.
Applicants from non-English speaking countries must submit evidence of English language proficiency at the time of application. Our minimum entry requirements are
- IELTS 6.5 with the writing band no less than 6.0 or
- TOEFL (paper based) 575 + TWE no less than 4.5 or
- TOEFL (computer based) 232 + TWE no less than 4.5 or
- TOEFL (IBT) 88 (minimum 19 in any element) or
- have passed 60 ECTS (European Credits) in English-taught courses
- English Proficiency letter issued by home institution
After you have been nominated by home university, you will then receive an automatic email send from our IOMS (http://ioms.nottingham.edu.cn) with your username and password for online application.
Students will then need to fill in online form and upload relevant supporting documents including:
- Your most recent academic transcript
- copy of your passport
- passport size photo
- copy of your English language test result (if applicable)
Once we receive your completed online application, it may take at least 2-3 weeks for UNNC school approval. You will receive an automatic email once your modules approved and you can then proceed next steps including accommodation application, payment of fees and airport pick up service.
Study Abroad Program
1. Complete the Study Abroad Application Form
2. Attach all required documentation, including:
- Your most recent original academic transcript
- A copy of your passport
- A copy of your English language test result (if applicable)
- A approval/reference Letter from your home university.
3. Submit your application to Global Engagement Office, and you will be given an online account if the application approved.
The application deadline to UNNC is:
- 1 May for September entry
- 30 October for January/February entry
Key dates and Academic Calendar for international students could be found at