全日制：通常需3至4年 / 在职：通常需6至8年
The PhD programme offers flexible supervision between The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) and The University of Nottingham, UK. Depending on the proposed research, students may be required to spend part of their studies at The University of Nottingham, UK, but students will be registered at UNNC, and graduates will be awarded a University of Nottingham, UK degree which is also recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
Composites (Leader: Prof Xiaosu Yi)
Research areas: Thermoplastic composites, Carbon Fiber recycling, 3D printing Composites, Carbon Fiber SMC, Bio composites, smart composite.
Power electronics, Machines and Control (Leader: Prof Chris Gerada)
Research areas: Electrical machines, Motor drives and motor control, Power Electronics and Thermal management.
Geospatial and Geohazards (Leader: Dr Craig Matthew Hancock)
Research areas: Engineering surveying and remote Measurement, Geospatial science, Positioning and navigation technologies, and Geohazards.
Advanced and Intelligent Manufacturing (Leader: Prof Dragos Axinte)
Research areas: Conventional& non-conventional material removal processes, Processes for adding materials, Modelling, dynamics and control of manufacturing processes, Reactive manufacturing processes, Automation of manufacturing processes, and Process planning and lean production.
Natural Resources and Environment (Leader: Dr Jun He)
Research areas: Air quality and pollution control, Urban climate change, Water quality and wastewater treatment, Aquatic resource and soil management, Solid waste management and treatment.
Artificial Intelligence and Optimisation (Leader: Prof Ruibin Bai)
Research areas: Computational intelligence and data mining, Computer vision and image processing, Transportation analysis and optimisation.
Advanced Energy and Environmental Materials & Technologies (Leader: Prof Tao Wu)
Research areas: Advanced composite materials, Granular materials and geotechnology, and New energy and environmental materials.
Fluids and Thermal Engineering (Leader: Prof Yuying Yan)
Research areas: Fluids and multiphase flows, Heat transfer enhancement, Thermal management for automotive and other energy systems, Biomimetics approaches of functional surface with fluids; Multiscale modelling, Thermofluids-related renewable-energy technologies; HVAC in the built environment; Refrigeration; Engines and thermal systems.
Partial Differential Equations (Leader: Dr Behrouz Emamizadeh)
Research areas: Nonlinear Partial Differential Equations, Calculus of Variations, Nonlinear Analysis, Rearrangement Optimization Problems, Free Boundary Problems, Free Discontinuity Problems, Regularity of Solutions, Fractional Differential Equations, Shape Optimization Problems, Eigenvalue Problems, Overdetermined and Symmetry Problems, Numerical Analysis, Finite Element Methods, Error Estimates.
Sensor, Sensor Networks, and Instrumentation (Leader: Prof. Vladimir Brusic)
Research areas: Health and Wellbeing (medical imaging, OMICS, health monitoring), Smart Systems (smart home/office, smart vehicle, smart health), Applications of sensors and instruments (diagnostics, prognostics, optimization)
Sustainable Built Environment (Leader: Wu Deng)
Research areas: Architectural theory and criticism; Sustainable urban culture and urban design; Urban transitions; Urban regeneration in Chinese context; Computational architecture and fabrication; Transcultural and Postcolonial Perspectives in Architecture; History and theory of architecture and urbanism; Heritage Preservation; Sustainable city and community; High performance buildings; Indoor environmental assessment; Artificial intelligent and built environment; Computational fluid dynamics and built environment; Diagnostic analysis of heritage buildings; Passive house technologies in the hot summer and cold winter zone
For any general enquiries about the FoSE PhD programmes, please contact: FOSE_Research@nottingham.edu.cn
Supervision between the campuses to be settled for each individual student.
If you apply to a PhD programme, you will generally need to hold an honours degree at 2:1 level (for applicants graduating from a university in the UK) or above (or international equivalent) in an appropriate subject.
The following will be considered when making an offer:
1. academic performance during the undergraduate and postgraduate study
2. ranking and fame of the university where the applicant graduates from
3. research papers published in international academic journals
4. quality of the research proposal
5. research potential and attitude
6. Important awards granted before
7. Very related work experience
8. English proficiency
Students whose first language is not English or their entry qualifications were not obtained from a country/region where English is the native language, are required to provide satisfactory evidence of their proficiency in English.
More information can be found on Graduate School's website.
- IELTS: 6.0(minimum 5.5 in all elements)
- PTE Academic: 65 (minimum 59)
- TOEFL (IBT): 79 (minimum 17 in Writing and Listening, 18 in Reading, 20 in Speaking)
*IELTS 6.5 (minimum 6.0 in all elements) or its equivalent is required for Faculty of Science and Engineering (FoSE) scholarship applicants.
Application Deadlines and Registration Dates
|| Application Deadlines
|Sep 2021 (MRes and PhD)
||11 Jun 2021
||11 Sep 2021
|Feb 2022 (PhD only)
||31 Oct 2021
||14 Feb 2022
Step 1: Application Preparation
Applicants are strongly advised to prepare a detailed research proposal. You are encouraged to work and refine your proposal with the potential UNNC supervisor, who are listed on the website of each department/school. Your research proposal will also be used in assessing your application.
Step 2: Submit an Application
Please email scanned copies of the following documents to PHDadmissions@nottingham.edu.cn
- A completed application form (all fields filled)
- Copies of degree certificates for undergraduate and postgraduate studies with English translation (Xueli certificates are required too for applicants from Chinese universities). Applicants who obtained degrees from a Chinese university can provide the “online Verification Report of Higher Education Qualification Certificate” in English obtained from China Higher Education Student Information (CHSI中国高等教育学生信息网) as an alternative of the English translation.
- Official transcripts with marks for all individual modules/courses from undergraduate and postgraduate studies (with official university stamp)
- Two references must be emailed to PHDAdmissions@nottingham.edu.cn directly by the referees and it’s the applicant’s responsibility to notify referees in advance.
- English Language test score report (IELTS/PTE academic etc.) if applicable (not required for native English speakers).
- A research proposal.
- A copy of passport (international applicants) or ID card (Chinese nationals, both sides of Chinese ID cards required).
- An electronic copy of passport-sized photo taken within three months of this application.
- Any supporting documents to demonstrate the research potential, if applicable, e.g. published papers, conference papers, patents, etc.
All documents must be in English except the copy of Chinese national ID. If original documents are not in English, a translated English version is required in addition to the original one. An application missing any of these document (except for English language score) is incomplete and will not be considered.
Please quote the scholarship reference number in your application form if you are applying for any UNNC scholarship.
Step 3: After Application Submission
- A confirmation email will be sent to you after receiving the application
- Graduate School checks if the basic entry requirements are met and the application is complete.
- Relevant academic departments/schools assess applications and make decisions.
- Graduate School will email you about the programme application result 5-6 weeks after your full application is received. If you apply for a UNNC scholarship, the result will be released via a separate letter 5-6 weeks after scholarship deadline.
Step 4: Admission and Registration
- Graduate School will email you about registration information before the start date.
- Registration in person is required on the start date.
- A compulsory induction programme will follow the registration.
Tuition fee is paid for 3 years only and paid at the beginning of each academic year, and students can apply to pay by installments.
The tution fees for Science and Engineering programmes are RMB 110,000 per year for 2020/21 academic year entry.
Note*1: please note that the tuition fees will be subject to change.
Scholarships are available for exceptionally talented applicants, covering tuition fee, accommodation and living expenses and lasting for 3 years.
Internships and placements with famous cooperative companies are available for excellent applicants.
Teaching assistantships can be offered to excellent applicants with extra competitive payment.
University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) offers a wide variety of scholarships to potential PhD students seeking to study at UNNC. In addition to faculty full scholarships, we also offer strategic research scholarships and other scholarships attached to our prestigious research institutes. The following PhD scholarships are open to applicants for 2019 entry only.
- Applicants must have a first class honours undergraduate degree or 65% and above for a Masters’ degree from a British university, or the equivalent from other institutions;
- Applicants must meet the required English language proficiency for the relevant subject area; Please be advised that IELTS 6.5 ( minimum 6.0 in any element) or its equivalent is required for FOSE Faculty scholarship.
How to apply the Scholarships
No separate application is required for applying for a scholarship but please make sure you quote the scholarship reference number in your PhD application form. It normally takes 5-6 weeks for a final decision to be made after the closing date. List of required documents can be found on the ‘ how to apply’ part above.