||Doctoral Training Partnership Scholarships at UNNC and SIAT, CAS
|Length of Scholarship
||Up to 36 months, subject to satisfactory progression
- Nottingham University Business School China
- Faculty of Science and Engineering
||13 February 2023
||15 October 2022 China Standard Time (CST)
The available PhD scholarship cover
- Tuition fee
- Monthly stipend
- All above items are covered for up to 36 months based on satisfactory progression
- All regulations set out in the UNNC PhD Scholarship Policy apply
In addition to the above scholarship, successful candidates also have the opportunity to carry out teaching (after the completion of Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) training) or research assistant duties at UNNC since second year of their PhD programmes.
Potential PhD topics
- A Novel Dynamic Body Weight Support Overground Walker based on Brain Computer Interface Powered Body Movement Recognition and Track Enabling Natural Gait training
- A synthetic biology approach using engineered bacteria to mitigate environmental pollution
- Advanced energy storage materials and devices
- Autonomous driving
- Biomimetic Synthesis of Mandapamate, Isomandapamate and Rameswaralide
- Computational Intelligence and Combinatorial Optimisation
- Control of Dual Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors for an Indoor Navigation Robotic System
- Design, Control and Application of Soft Medical Robots
- Electromagnetic computation and advanced technology in ultra-high field MRI
- Engineering living building material
- High adaptability and reliability of wearable device systems in Internet of medical Things dealing with the extremes of changing physical conditions and environment in special applications
- Image-guided Radiation Therapy based on Machine Learning
- Image Processing for HREM
- Knowledge graph based deep learning algorithms and their applications to health informatics
- Mathematical/computational modelling of the screen and verification of biomarkers in building the forewarning model for intelligent assistant diagnosis of depressive disorder
- Mathematical/computational modelling the central nervous systems process external information is key for cognitive processes: based on experimental data
- Mathematical/computational modelling the central nervous systems process external information is key for cognitive processes: based on laboratory data
- Medical Image Processing and Deep Learning
- Metallic matrix composite materials in advanced electronic packaging
- Quantitative optical imaging of physiological dynamics
- Research on Visual Understanding and Human-computer Interaction
- Robot assisted automatic preparation of functional materials
- The Management and Control Theory and Methods for Industrial Internet System
- Ultrasonic transducers and high-resolution imaging
- Video based online abnormal object recognition in grid scene
Please click "Research areas and potential supervisors" for more details.
PhD programme structure
PhD programmes at the UNNC are composed of 3 years research and a 1 year thesis pending period for full time PhDs. Full time PhDs are expected to submit their theses within a maximum of four years from initial registration.
PhD supervision is undertaken jointly by academics from University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC), Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences (SIAT, CAS) and University of Nottingham UK (UNUK). Students should be based at UNNC for 50% of the PhD duration (i.e. 18 months of the 36 months), and the other 50% at SIAT.
On successful completion of the PhD, the students will be awarded a PhD degree from University of Nottingham. No reference will be made on the degree certificate as to where the degree has been completed. The University of Nottingham PhD degree is accredited by the Chinese Ministry of Education and the UK Quality Assurance Agency.
Applicants considering to apply for PhD Scholarship must have met the entry requirements of a PhD programme first. More details can be found on the 'entry requirements' page of the website.
Applicants must have a master degree with minimum average score of 65% and degree classification Merit or above from a British university. Applicants also should hold a bachelor degree at upper second class or above level. Applicants from institutions where different score system is used must have achieved an equivalent level of performance to the above.
Nottingham University Business School China also considers bachelor degree only holders who have a first class honours from one of Nottingham campuses and have a very strong passion for research in a particular area.
Faculty of Science and Engineering also considers bachelor degree only holders with first class honours from a British university, or the equivalent from other institutions.
Applicants must meet the required English language proficiency for the relevant subject area.
IELTS 6.5 (minimum 6.0 in all elements) or its equivalent is required for Faculty of Science and Engineering (FoSE) scholarship applicants.
How to apply
No separate application is required for applying for a scholarship but please make sure you select the correct scholarship reference number in the PhD application system. A list of required documents can be found on the 'how to apply' page.