||Doctoral Training Partnership Scholarships at UNNC and Zhejiang University, Ningbo
|Length of Scholarship
||Up to 36 months, subject to satisfactory progression
- Nottingham University Business School China
- Faculty of Science and Engineering
||09 September 2023
||15 April 2023 China Standard Time (CST)
The available PhD scholarship cover
- Tuition fee
- Monthly stipend
- All above items are covered for up to 36 months based on satisfactory progression
- All regulations set out in the UNNC PhD Scholarship Policy apply
In addition to the above scholarship, successful candidates also have the opportunity to carry out teaching (after the completion of Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) training) or research assistant duties at UNNC since second year of their PhD programmes.
Available PhD research areas
- Innovative design research with the focus on the methods, tools and technologies to improve the way we design and process, create and apply new technologies for design, increase knowledge of how we design; and facilitate innovation in the things we design;
- User centred design research into products, services, equipment and environments to ensure they meet the needs of the various stakeholders;
- Human factors in digital technologies, future transport, wearables and smart textiles, healthcare, education, digital manufacturing, and intelligent mobility;
- Digital manufacturing practices and the changing role of the designer for Product-Service Systems under the influence of Artificial Intelligence and ultra-personalization;
- Study of the application of Design thinking in industry, education and society, to support the sustainable creativity development;
- Mixed reality technologies with interaction design (VR & AR, with both digital & tangible interface) for applications such as education (online & offline), health and safety training and vehicle design;
For more details, please click 'Research areas and potential supervisors'.
PhD programme structure
PhD programmes at the UNNC are composed of 3 years research and a 1 year thesis pending period for full time PhDs. Full time PhDs are expected to submit their theses within a maximum of four years from initial registration.
PhD supervision is undertaken jointly by academics from University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC), Zhejiang University and University of Nottingham UK (UNUK). Students are required to be in UNNC for at least 50% of the time of the PhD, i.e. 18 months of the 36 months PhD programme.
On successful completion of the PhD, the students will be awarded a PhD degree from University of Nottingham. No reference will be made on the degree certificate as to where the degree has been completed. The University of Nottingham PhD degree is accredited by the Chinese Ministry of Education and the UK Quality Assurance Agency.
Applicants considering to apply for PhD Scholarship must have met the entry requirements of a PhD programme first. More details can be found on the 'entry requirements' page of the website.
Applicants must have a master degree with minimum average score of 65% and degree classification Merit or above from a British university. Applicants also should hold a bachelor degree at upper second class or above level. Applicants from institutions where different score system is used must have achieved an equivalent level of performance to the above.
Nottingham University Business School China also considers bachelor degree only holders who have a first class honours from one of Nottingham campuses and have a very strong passion for research in a particular area.
Faculty of Science and Engineering also considers bachelor degree only holders with first class honours from a British university, or the equivalent from other institutions.
Applicants must meet the required English language proficiency for the relevant subject area.
IELTS 6.5 (minimum 6.0 in all elements) or its equivalent is required for Faculty of Science and Engineering (FoSE) scholarship applicants.
How to apply
No separate application is required for applying for a scholarship but please make sure you select the correct scholarship reference number in the PhD application system. A list of required documents can be found on the 'how to apply' page.