Sathyaprakash Balaji Makam
Head of Department for EMM, Associate Professor in Marketing
Nottingham University Business School China
Room 367, Trent Building
University of Nottingham Ningbo China
199 Taikang East Road, Ningbo, 315100, China
+86 (0)574 8818 0000 ext. 8143
PhD (ICFAI University Dehradun, India)
PGDBA (IBS Chennai, India)
BDS (Bangalore University, India)
Dr Sathyaprakash Balaji Makam (M S Balaji) is an Associate Professor in Marketing at Nottingham University Business School China (NUBS). Prior to joining NUBS on September 2015, he held a Lecturer (research) position at Taylor’s Business School, Taylor’s University, Malaysia, and Assistant Professor position at IBS Hyderabad, IFHE University, India. He was a visiting research scholar at Whitman School of Management, Syracuse University, USA between August 2007 and July 2008. Prior to the academic career, he worked in the Healthcare Industry for more than 3 years in India. Dr. Balaji has published his research in leading marketing and business management journals including Journal of Business Research, European Journal of Marketing, Information and Management, International Journal of Hospitality Management, Journal of Services Marketing, Service Industries Journal and others. He received the AIMS-IMT Outstanding Young Management Researcher Award in 2012 for his research contributions. He serves as a reviewer for many leading marketing and business management journals.
- Consumers and Markets
- Managing the Marketing Mix
- Consumer Psychology of Brands
Dr Sathyaprakash Balaji Makam aims to understand the customer evaluation of the service encounter in his research. As service encounters are characterized by social interactions, the focus of his research is on customer interaction with the service provider and its consequences. More specifically, his current research focuses on employee-customer interaction, service failure, and word-of-mouth communication.
- Services Marketing
- Negative word-of-mouth communication on social media
- Customer Interaction Quality
- Customer Relationship Management
- 2018 Highly Commended Award
- 2017 Best paper award in Journal of Marketing Management
- Rambalak Yadav, Balaji, M.S., & Charles Jebarakirthy. (2019). “How psychological and contextual factors contribute to traveler’s propensity to choose green hotels?”, International Journal of Hospitality Management, Vol.77, January, pp. 385-395 (ABS 3 and Impact Factor: 3.912).
- Jha, S., Balaji, M.S., Kumar Ranjan, & Sharma Arun. (2019). “Effect of Service-Related Resources on Employee and Customer Outcomes in Trade Shows”, Industrial Marketing Management, Vol. 76, pp. 48-59 (ABS 3 and Impact factor: 3.166).
- Ankur. S & Balaji, M.S. (2018). “Attitude towards Global Brands in Emerging Markets: Differences in Brands from Emerging and Developed Markets”, Marketing Intelligence and Planning (ABS 1).
- Roy, S. K., Balaji, M.S., Ali, Q. and Quaddus, M. (2018). “Predictors of customer acceptance and resistance of smart technologies in the retail sector”, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Vol. 42, May, pp. 147-160(ABS 2)
- Balaji. M.S., Jha, Subhash, Sarkar, Aditi, & Krishnan, Balaji. (2018). “Are cynical customers satisfied differently? Role of negative inferred motive and customer participation in service recovery”, Journal of Business Research, Vol. 86, pp. 109-118.(ABS 3 and Impact factor 3.354).
- Roy, S.K., Balaji, M.S., Soutar, G., Lassar, W. & Roy, R. (2018) “Customer engagement behavior in individualistic and collectivistic markets”, Journal of Business Research, Vol. 86, May, pp. 281-290. (ABS 3 and Impact factor 3.354).
- Zach Lee, Tommy Chan, Balaji, M.S. & Alain Chong (2018). “Why People Participate in the Sharing Economy: An Empirical Investigation of Uber”, Internet Research, 28(3), 829-850 (Impact factor: 2.931).
- Roy, S. K., Balaji, M. S., Sadeque, S., Nguyen, B. and Melewar, T. C. (2017), “Constituents and Consequences of Smart Customer Experience in Retailing”, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Vol. 124, pp. 257-270. (ABS 3 and Impact factor 2.678).
- Roy, S.K., Balaji, M.S., Kesarwani, A., & Shekon, H. (2017), “Predicting Internet banking adoption in India: A perceived risk perspective”. Journal of Strategic Marketing, Vol. 25, No. 5-6, pp. 418-438 (ABS 2).
- Balaji, M. S., Roy, S. K., & Quazi, A. (2017). Customers’ emotion regulation strategies in service failure encounters. European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 51, No. 5/6, pp. 960-982. (ABS 3 and Impact factor 1.088).
- Jha, S., Balaji, M. S., Yavas, U., & Babakus, E. (2017). Effects of frontline employee role overload on customer responses and sales performance: moderator and mediators. European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 51, No. 2, pp. 282-303 (ABS 3 and Impact factor 1.088).
- Balaji, M. S. and Roy, S. K. (2017), “Value co-creation with Internet of things technology in the retail industry”, Journal of Marketing Management, Vol. 33, No. 1-2, pp. 7-31 (ABS 2).
- Balaji, M. S., Roy, S. K. and Lassar, W. M. L. (2017), “Language Divergence in Service Encounters: Revisiting Its Influence on Word-Of-Mouth”, Journal of Business Research, Vol. 72, March, pp. 210-213 (ABS 3 and Impact factor 3.354).
- Goh S.K. & Balaji M.S. (2016). “Linking Green Skepticism to Green Purchase Behaviour”, Journal of Cleaner Production, 131, pp. 629-638 (Impact factor: 4.959).
- Balaji, M.S., Khong Kok Wei & Alain Chong (2016), “Determinants of Negative Word-of-Mouth Communication using Social Networking Sites”, Information & Management, Vol. 53, No. 4, pp. 528-540 (ABS 3 and Impact factor: 2.163).
- Balaji, M.S., Roy, Sanjit & Saalem Sadique. (2016), “The Antecedents and Consequences of University Brand Identification”, Journal of Business Research, Vol. 69, No. 8, pp. 3023-3032(ABS 3 and Impact factor 2.129).
- Balaji, M.S., Roy, Sanjit & Khong Kok Wei. (2016), “Does Relationship Communication Matter in B2C Service Relationships?”, Journal of Services Marketing, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 186-200 (ABS 2 and Impact factor 1.021).
- Sanjit Kumar Roy & Balaji, M. S. (2015), “Measurement and validation of online financial service quality (OSFQ)”, Marketing Intelligence & Planning, Vol. 34, No. 3, pp. 1004-1026 (ABS 1).
- Balaji, M.S., Jha, Subhash, & Stafford, Marla. (2015), “Customer e-complaining behaviours using social media”, The Service Industries Journal, Vol. 35, No. 11-12, pp. 633-654(ABS 2 and Impact factor 0.832).
- Sarkar, A., Balaji, M.S., & Krishnan Balaji. (2015). “How Customers Cope with Service Failure? A Study of Brand Reputation and Customer Satisfaction”, Journal of Business Research, Vol. 68, No. 3, pp. 665-674 (ABS 3 and Impact factor 1.480).
- Payling, Yu, Balaji, M.S., & Khong Kok Wei. (2015). “Building trust in internet banking: A trustworthiness perspective”, Industrial Management & Data Systems, Vol. 115, No. 2, pp. 235-252 (ABS 2 and Impact factor 1.226).
- Ponnam, A., Sreejesh S., & Balaji, M. S. (2015), “Investigating the effects of product innovation and ingredient branding strategies on brand equity of food products”, British Food Journal, Vol. 117, No. 2. pp. 523-537 (ABS 1 and Impact factor 0.772).
- Lee, H.S.S., Balaji, M.S., & Khong K.W. (2015) “An investigation of online shopping experience: effects of gender differences”, Journal of Internet Commerce, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 233-254.
- Balaji, M.S. (2015). “Investing in customer loyalty: The moderating role of relational characteristics”, Service Business: An International Journal, Vol. 9, No.1, pp. 17-40 (Impact factor 0.645).
- Ponnam, A. & Balaji, M. S. (2015). “Developing consumer-based brand equity model using a motivational perspective”, The Marketing Review Journal, Vol. 15, No.1, pp. 3-16.
- Jha, Subhash & Balaji, M.S. (2015). “I know it so I do not need to touch it: Role of brand familiarity in tactile product evaluation”, Indian Journal of Marketing. Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 7-19.
- Balaji, M.S. & Rajdeep Chakraborti. (2015). “Stadium Atmosphere: Scale Development and Validation in Indian Context”, Journal of Indian Business Research. Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 45-66.
- Balaji, M.S. (2014). “Managing customer citizenship behavior: A relationship perspective”, Journal of Strategic Marketing. Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 222-239 (ABS 2).
- Ponnam A. & Balaji, M.S. (2014). “Matching visitation-motives and restaurant attributes in casual dining restaurants”, International Journal of Hospitality Management, Vol. 37 No. 2, pp. 47-57 (ABS 2 and Impact factor 1.939).
- Afshan, N., Chakrabarti, D., & Balaji, M. S. (2014). “Exploring the Relevance of Employee Productivity-Linked Firm Performance Measures: An Empirical Study in India”, Journal of Transnational Management, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 24-37.
- Balaji, M.S. and Aditi Sarkar. (2013). “Does successful recovery mitigate failure severity? A study of the behavioral outcomes in Indian Context”, International Journal of Emerging Markets, Vol. 8 No. 1, pp. 65-81.
- Padmavathy, C., Balaji, M. S. & Siva Kumar, V.J. (2012). “Measuring effectiveness of customer relationship management in Indian retail banks”, International Journal of Bank Marketing, Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 246-266 (ABS 1).
- Ponnam, A., Debajani, S. & Balaji, M.S. (2011). “Satisfaction-based segmentation: Application of Kano model in Indian fast food industry”, Journal of Targeting, Measurement and Analysis for Marketing, Vol. 19, No. 3-4, pp. 195-205 (ABS 1).
- Balaji, M.S., Srividya, R. & Subhash Jha (2011). “Role of tactile and visual inputs in product evaluation: A multisensory perspective”, Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 513-530.
- Balaji, M.S. & Diganta, C. (2010). “Student interactions in online discussion forum: Empirical research from ‘media richness theory’ perspective”, Journal of Interactive Online Learning, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 1-22.
- Roy Sanjit, Saleem Sadeque and Balaji M. S. (2019), “Building a trustworthy university brand: An inside-out approach” in Bang Nguyen, Melewar, T.C., and Hemsley-Brown, Tane (eds.), Strategic Brand Management in Higher Education, Routledge.
- Balaji, M.S., Sanjit Roy, Aditi Sarkar, Alain Chong (2017), “User Acceptance of IoT Applications in Retail Industry” in Lee (ed.), The Internet of Things in the Modern Business Environment, IGI Global, pp. 28-49.
- Gupta, N., Balaji, M. S. and Roy, S. K. (2016), “Impact of Cultural Factors on Indian Consumers’ Brand Preference”, in Nguyen, B., Melewar, T.C., and Schultz, D.E. (eds.), Asia Branding: Connecting Brands, Consumers and Companies, Palgrave MacMillan, in press (forthcoming).