Patrick Y.K. Chau
Vice Provost for Research and Knowledge Exchange, Li Dak Sum Chair Professor in Information Systems and Operations Management
Nottingham University Business School China
Room 448, Trent Building
University of Nottingham Ningbo China
199 Taikang East Road, Ningbo, 315100, China
+86 (0)574 8818 0000 ext. 8703
PhD (University of Western Ontario)
MBA (University of Edinburgh)
BSSc (Chinese University of Hong Kong)
Professor Patrick Y.K. Chau joined the University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) as Vice Provost in Research and Li Dak Sum Chair in Information Systems and Operations Management in March 2019. Prior to joining UNNC, he has served at the University of Hong Kong (HKU) for almost twenty years during which he has held various management positions including Director of the School of Business and Associate Dean at the Faculty of Business and Economics. In the academic community, he was the Founding President of both the College for Academic Leadership, Association for Information Systems (AIS) in 2015-2017 and the Hong Kong Chapter of AIS in 2006. He was also President of the Chinese Association for Information Systems (ChAIS) in 2005-2007. He served on the Council of AIS twice, once as a Council Member representing the Asia-Pacific Region (2000-2003) and the other time as Vice-President for Meetings and Conferences in 2006-2008.
Professor Chau is known for his research in IT adoption/implementation and electronic commerce. He has close to 100 journal publications which are well cited by scholars in the academic community. Many of his papers published in various top-tier and highly reputed journals, including MIS Quarterly, Journal of Management Information Systems, European Journal of Information Systems, Journal of Association for Information Systems, Communications of the ACM, Decision Sciences, Decision Support Systems, Information & Management, and many others. As of February 2019, the total number of citations of his papers in Google Scholar has reached over 17,500 with an H-index of 51. He is currently the Editor-in-Chief of Information & Management (ABS Level 3) and a Senior Editor of Journal of the Association for Information Systems (ABS Level 4).
Professor Chau’s academic achievements and contributions have been recognized by a number of appointments and award, including Chang Jiang Scholar Chair Professorship by the Ministry of Education, People’s Republic of China in March 2010, Padma and Hari Harilela Professorship in Strategic Information Management at The University of Hong Kong in February 2014, Qiushi Chair Professorship at Zhejiang University, China in September 2014, and Li Dak Sum Chair Professorship at the University of Nottingham Ningbo China in September 2017. He also received the AIS Fellow Award in December 2013, an award by the Association for Information Systems (AIS) to no more than six scholars in the discipline of Information Systems each year globally. He was also invited and is now serving on the International Advisory Board of the Consumer and Organisational Data Analytics (CODA) Research Centre of King’s College London (KCL) in the U.K., the FinTech and Digital Governance Research Centre of the National Chung Cheng University in Taiwan, and the Faculty of Management and Economics of the Dalian University of Technology, China.
- Information Systems Management
- Information Systems Project Management
- Electronic Commerce
- IT Entrepreneurship
- Strategic Information Management
- Electronic Commerce and Virtual Business
- Research Methodologies in Management
- Research Methodologies in Information Systems
- Research Seminars in Information Systems
- Chen, H., Chau, P.Y.K. and Li, W.L. “The effects of moral disengagement and organizational ethical climate on insiders' information security policy violation behavior”, Information Technology and People, forthcoming.
- Qi, C. and Chau, P.Y.K. “Will enterprise social networking systems promote knowledge management and organizational learning? An empirical study,” Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce, 2891), 31-57, 2018.
- Zhao, P., Lu, Y.B., Wang, B. and Chau, P.Y.K. “Who do you think you are? Effects of social self-identity on community members’ usage behaviors in social media,” Journal of Management Information Systems, 34(1), 1-31, 2017.
- Lu, Y., Chau, M.C.L. and Chau, P.Y.K. “Are sponsored links effective? Investigating the impact of trust in search engine advertising,” ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems, 7(4), Article 12, 2017.
- Palvia, P., Chau, P.Y.K., Kakhki, M.D., Ghoshal, T., U., Vishal, and Wang, W. “A decade plus long introspection of research published in Information & Management”, Information and Management, 54(2), 218-227, 2017.
- Yang, S.Q., Lu, Y.B., Chau, P.Y.K. and Gupta, S. “Role of channel integration on the service quality, satisfaction, and repurchase intention in a multi-channel (online-cum-mobile) retail environment,” International Journal of Mobile Communication, 15(1), 1-25, 2017.
- Shiau. W.-L. and Chau, P.Y.K. “Understanding behavioral intention to use a cloud computing classroom: A multiple model comparison approach”, Information and Management, 53(3), 355-365, 2016.
- Chu, A.M.Y., Chau, P.Y.K. and So, M.K.P. “Developing a typological theory using a quantitative approach: A case of information security deviant behavior,” Communications of the AIS, 37 (Article 25), 2015.
- Chu, A.M.Y., Chau, P.Y.K. and So, M.K.P. “Explaining the misuse of information systems resources in the workplace: A dual-process approach,” Journal of Business Ethics, 131, 209-225, 2015.
- Shiau, W.L. and Chau, P.Y.K. “Does altruism matter on online group buying? Perspectives from egotistic and altruistic motivation”, Information Technology and People, 28(3), 677-689, 2015.
- Hung, S.Y., Tsai, J.C.A., Lee, W.T. and Chau, P.Y.K. “Knowledge management implementation, business process, and market relationship outcomes: An empirical study”, Information Technology and People, 28(3), 500-528, 2015.
- Qi, C. and Chau, P.Y.K. “Relationship or contract? Exploring the key factor leading to IT outsourcing success in China”, Information Technology and People, 28(3), 466-499, 2015.
- Hung., W.H., McQueen, R.J., Yen, D.C. and Chau, P.Y.K. “Measuring the alignment of websites and organisational critical activities”, Technology Analysis & Strategic Management, 27(5), 550-568, 2015.
- Liu, F., Zhao, X.F., Chau P.Y.K. and Tang, Q. “Roles of perceived value and individual differences in the acceptance of mobile coupon applications: Evidence from China,” Internet Research, 25(3), 471-495, 2015.
- Chen, A.H., Lu, Y.B., Chau, P.Y.K. and Gupta, S. “Classifying, measuring and predicting the overall active behavior of users in social network sites,” Journal of Management Information Systems,31(3), 213-253, 2014.
- Chu, A.M.Y. and Chau, P.Y.K. “Development and validation of instruments of information security deviant behavior,” Decision Support Systems, 66, 93-101, 2014.
- Jiang, G.Y., Ma, F.C., Shang, J. and Chau, P.Y.K. “Evolution of knowledge sharing behavior in social commerce: An agent-based computational approach,” Information Sciences, 273, 250-266, 2014.
- Lin, H., Fan, W. and Chau, P.Y.K. “Determinants of users’ continuance of social networking sites: A self-regulation perspective,” Information and Management, 51(5), 595-603, 2014.
- Kuan, K.K.Y., Zhong, Y.Q. and Chau, P.Y.K. “Informational and normative social influence in group-buying: Evidence from self-reported and EEG data,” Journal of Management Information Systems, 30(4), 151-178, 2014.
- Wang, Y.W., Wang, S., Fang, Y.L. and Chau, P.Y.K. “Store survival in online marketplace: An empirical investigation”, Decision Support Systems, 56(1), 482-493, 2013.
- Chau, P.Y.K., Ho, S.Y., Ho, K.K.W. and Yao, Y.H. “Examining the effects of malfunctioning personalized services on online users' distrust and behaviors”, Decision Support Systems, 56(1), 180-191, 2013.
- Ho, S.Y. and Chau, P.Y.K. “The effects of location personalization on individuals’ integrity trust and integrity distrust in mobile merchants”, International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 17(4), 39-72, 2013.
- Qi, C. and Chau, P.Y.K. “Investigating the roles of interpersonal and interorganizational trust in IT outsourcing success”, Information Technology & People, 26(2), 120-145, 2013.
- Yang, S.Q., Lu, Y.B. and Chau, P.Y.K. “Why do consumers adopt online channel? An empirical investigation of two channel extension mechanisms,” Decision Support Systems, 54(2), 858-869, 2013.
- Editor-in-Chief, Information and Management, January 2014-present.
- Senior Editor, Journal of the Association for Information Systems, September 2018-present.
- Senior Editor, Pacific-Asia Journal of AIS, May 2008–present.
- Co-Editor, Information and Management, January 2012 – December 2013.
- Global Co-editor, Data Base, January 2007 – December 2011.
- Co-Editor, Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, January 2007 – August 2011.
- Associate Editor, MIS Quarterly, 2002-2004, 2010-2013.
- Associate Editor, Journal of the Association for Information Systems, July 2007 – December 2010.
Keynote Speeches (recent years)
- “Big data analytics research for sustainability”, Keynote speech at the Sixth Taiwan Summer Workshop on Information Management (TSWIM 2018), Hsinchu, Taiwan, 22 June 2018.
- “When smart cities meet big data – research opportunities and challenges”, Keynote speech at the Seventeenth International Conference on Electronic Business, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 5 December 2017.
- “Information security management research in E-Commerce”, Keynote speech at the 11th International Conference on Management of e-Commerce and e-Government, Changchun, China, 23 September 2017.
- “Information security (management) research in the era of Internet+ and Big Data”, Keynote speech at the First International Conference on Internet+, Big Data and Business Innovation, Beijing, China, 7 July 2017.
- “Brighter Internet and smarter supply chain”, Keynote speech at the Second International Workshop on Information Systems and Supply Chain Management, Suzhou, Jiangsu, China, 22 June 2016.
- “Big data research: Old wine in a new bottle?”, Keynote speech at the Third Taiwan Summer Workshop on Information Management (TSWIM 2015), Taipei, Taiwan, 13 July 2015.
- “Big data research: Old wine in a new bottle?”, Keynote speech at the Ninth China Summer Workshop on Information Management (CSWIM 2015), Hefei, Anhui, China, 28 June 2015.
- “Accounting and information management research in the era of big data”, Keynote speech at the 5th Biennial Conference of the World Accounting Frontiers Series (WAFS 2015), Macau, 29 May 2015.
- “Electronic business research in the era of big data”, Keynote speech at the 14th International Conference on Electronic Business (ICEB 2014), Taipei, Taiwan, 9 December 2014.
- "When e-Business meets cloud computing – Some research possibilities,” Keynote speech at the 2013 International Conference on Enterprise Resources Management (ICERM 2013),Taipei, Taiwan, 21 January 2013.
Conference Chairs (recent years)
- Conference Co-Chair, The Eleventh International Conference on Information Resources Management (Conf-IRM 2018), Ningbo, China, May 2018.
- Co-Chair, Research Papers, The 24th European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS 2016), Istanbul, Turkey, June 2016.
- Program Co-Chair, The 20th Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems 2016 (PACIS 2016), Taipei, Taiwan, June 2016.
- Conference Co-Chair, The 17th Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems 2013 (PACIS 2013), Jeju Island, South Korea, June 2013.