How to Apply
Please check our website for most up-to-date application information and relevant closing dates and registration dates. Applicants are encouraged to submit the application as early as possible.
Step 1: Application Preparation
Applicants are strongly advised to prepare a detailed research proposal. You may discuss it with potential supervisors, who you can find on the website of each department/school, to find out whether the university has the expertise to support your proposed area of PhD study. Your research proposal will also be used in assessing your application.
Step 2: Submit an Application
Please email scanned copies of the following documents to PHDadmissions@nottingham.edu.cn
- A completed application form (all fields filled)
- Copies of degree certificates for undergraduate and postgraduate studies (Xueli certificates are required too for applicants from Chinese universities)
- Official transcripts with marks for all individual modules/courses from undergraduate and postgraduate studies (with official university stamp)
- Two references must be emailed to PHDAdmissions@nottingham.edu.cn directly by the referees
- English language test score (IELTS/ PTE academic) (not required for native English speakers)
- A research proposal (For Ed.D application, one academic writing is required instead of research proposal)
- A copy of passport (international applicants) or ID card (Chinese nationals, both sides of Chinese ID cards required)
- An electronic copy of passport-sized photo taken within three months of this application
- A brief CV (required for Ed.D applicants only)
- A copy of your Masters’ dissertation, or a published paper or conference paper, or a sample of your writing work (for applicants to the School of International Studies only)
All documents must be in English. If original documents are not in English, a translated English version is required in addition to the original one. An application missing any of these document (except for English language score) is incomplete and will not be considered.
Please quote the scholarship reference number in your application form if you are applying for any UNNC scholarship.
Step 3: After Application Submission
- A confirmation email will be sent to you after receiving the application
- Graduate School checks if the basic entry requirements are met and the application is complete.
- Relevant academic departments/schools assess applications and make decisions.
- Graduate School will email you about your application result. If you have applied for a UNNC scholarship, the result will be included.
- It normally takes at least 5-6 weeks for us to reach a decision after we receive your full application.
Step 4: Admission and Registration
- There are 2 official start dates each year, one in May and the other in September. Faculty of Business (FoB) have different requirements, please check FoB website for details.
- Graduate School will email you about registration information before the start date.
- Registration in person is required on the start date.
- A compulsory induction programme will follow the registration.
We accept applications all year round.
However, there are deadlines for UNNC scholarships. Please check the relevant scholarship pages.
The University of Nottingham Ningbo China
Address: Trent Building Room 339, 199 Taikang East Road, Ningbo 315100 China
Tel: +86 (0)574 8818 1063