Working at our University in China
25 great reasons to work for the Faculty of Science and Engineering at our University in China.
1. The University of Nottingham Ningbo China, which opened its doors only seven years ago, is expanding quickly, with many career development opportunities for talented academics who aspire to climb the organisational ladder faster than they might be able to back home.
2. You will effectively be part of one of the UK’s best science and engineering faculties.
The University of Nottingham Ningbo China’s Faculty of Science and Engineering has close links with The University of Nottingham’s Faculty of Science and Engineering – among the UK’s top five universities for engineering.
3. All curriculum development and teaching programmes are led from the UK, so you will be able to draw on excellent resources to assist you in delivering course content at this unique University in China.
4. The University of Nottingham Ningbo China is equipped with modern experimental and computational facilities and we have award-winning laboratories in which to conduct your scientific investigations and make exciting discoveries.
5. The University of Nottingham Ningbo China is investing significant resources in its science and engineering division.
6. A new Science and Engineering Building was recently constructed at Nottingham’s University in China, so that it can deliver on ambitious plans to expand its number of engineering students as well as broaden its offering of postgraduate degree programmes.
7. The University of Nottingham Ningbo China encourages staff mobility, giving many of its teaching and research staff opportunities to travel abroad in order to develop professional links and leverage off expertise and facilities in the UK and in Malaysia.
8. You have the opportunity to conduct your research from the vantage point of the world’s most exciting economy, which means you develop first-hand insights into where the next big international scientific, technological and commercial opportunities lie.
9. The University of Nottingham Ningbo China encourages its academics to produce high-impact research, so we provide generous research grants for projects and conferences.
10. There are many funding and research collaboration avenues for ambitious research experts who join our team: China has highly ambitious national research goals, aiming to dramatically increase research outputs and deliver innovative new products and process as part of its national five-year programme.
11. The University provides comprehensive administrative support to assist you with applying for research grants, undertaking research across language barriers and seeing your projects through to completion.
12. You can be part of a close-knit and vibrant international university community, which has its roots on campus and networks across the city of Ningbo.
13. Regular organised staff activities, dinners and clubs create opportunities for socialising with colleagues and building friendships.
14. You will live in one of China’s most attractive, and less-expensive, cities in the east coast province of Zhejiang, only two-and-a-half hours from the global city of Shanghai.
15. The University is situated in a neat suburb with parks and canals, along with other higher education institutions and schools, and is in cycling distance to a relatively unspoilt lake and mountains.
16. Staff benefits include attractive remuneration and welfare packages, international schooling for dependent minors, membership of a private international medical scheme and access to the city’s newest medical facilities.
17. Special tax breaks are applicable for certain classes of foreign experts who work on contract in China, creating additional opportunities for income savings.
18. The University of Nottingham Ningbo China is conveniently located within striking distance of major rail and bus stations and close to an airport with regular connecting flights to other cities in the region, including Beijing, Hong Kong, Macau, Taipei and Singapore.
19. Travel in the city and from Ningbo to other destinations is relatively inexpensive, so you will be able to use Ningbo as a base from which to explore China and Asia in general.
20. The University of Nottingham Ningbo China is located in a secure estate near a new commercial business district.
21. Supermarkets, restaurants, hairdressing salons and beauty spas are within walking distance of the University.
22. Comfortable campus staff accommodation is available on request for international appointments.
23. Staff members have access to modern sporting facilities on campus and nearby, including a gym, badminton and tennis courts and swimming pools.
24. You will be part of a University known for its world-changing research. More than 90 per cent of research at The University of Nottingham is of international quality, according to according to the most recent Research Assessment Exercise, with almost 60 per cent of all research defined as ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’. Research Fortnight analysis of RAE 2008 ranked the University 7th in the UK by research power.
25. The University of Nottingham is one of the world’s top universities. It is described by The Sunday Times University Guide 2011 as ‘the embodiment of the modern international university’, is ranked in the UK's Top 10 and the World's Top 75 universities by the Shanghai Jiao Tong (SJTU) and the QS World University Rankings.
For more about working at The University of Nottingham Ningbo China, see our ‘information for candidates’ document.