Dr Dunant Halim is an Associate Professor in Mechanical Engineering and Director of Teaching of Faculty of Science and Engineering at University of Nottingham Ningbo China. He obtained his PhD from University of Newcastle Australia for his work in developing structural vibration control techniques for smart structures. For over 18 years, he has worked extensively on various research and industrial projects related to dynamics (acoustics and vibration), intelligent sensing and control at a number of international institutions: Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology – Australia; Acoustics, Vibration and Control Group - University of Adelaide; Australian Research Council - Centre of Excellence in Autonomous Systems: Australian Centre for Field Robotics - University of Sydney; Department of Mechanical Engineering - Hong Kong Polytechnic University and University of Nottingham Ningbo China.
Dr Halim has co-authored a book that introduced a novel optimal spatial control for regulating structural vibration: “Spatial Control of Vibration: Theory and Experiments”. To date, he has published more than 80 publications, including 2 book chapters in structural vibration control and flow control, and more than 55 refereed international conference and journal publications.
MM3DES Group Design Projects
MM3SV2 Structural Vibration 2
MM3CMT Computer Modelling Techniques
MM3BPR Individual Projects (Project Supervisor)
Supervisor of PhD Candidates
Major research interests
Advanced dynamics and automatic control, acoustics and vibration, noise and vibration control, energy harvesting, machine condition monitoring, structural health monitoring, smart composites.
Potential PhD candidates in various research areas of dynamics, condition/health monitoring and control (e.g. acoustics, vibration, smart composites) are welcome to contact Dr Dunant Halim at Dunant.Halim@nottingham.edu.cn for more information.
Details about PhD scholarships
- Director of Teaching, Faculty of Science and Engineering
- Deputy Chairman, Institution of Mechanical Engineers UK (IMechE UK) Shanghai Cluster - North East Asian Region.
- Academic Representative of Institution of Mechanical Engineers UK (IMechE UK) – University of Nottingham Ningbo China Student Chapter
- S. O. R. Moheimani, D. Halim and A. J. Fleming (2003) “Spatial control of vibration: theory and experiments”, Series on Stability, Vibration and Control of Systems, Series A - Vol. 10, World Scientific, 2003; ISBN 981-238-337-9, 223pp.
- L. Cheng, Z. Lu, and D. Halim (2013) “Active Control of Flow-induced Acoustic Resonance inside Downstream Cavities through Surface Perturbation” in New Trends in Smart Technologies, ed. Christian Boller, Hartmut Janocha; Universität des Saarlandes, Fraunhofer IZFP, Saarbrücken; Fraunhofer Verlag, ISBN 978-3-8396-0577-6, 283pp.
- D. Halim and S. O. R. Moheimani (2001) “Experiments in spatial H-infinity control of piezoelectric laminate beam” in Perspectives in Robust Control, ed. S. O. R. Moheimani, Springer, London.
Selected journal and conference publications
- Z. B. Lu, D. Halim, L. Cheng (2016) "Flow-induced noise control behind bluff bodies with various leading edges using the surface perturbation technique", Journal of Sound and Vibration, 369, 1-15.
- Z. Wei, J. Xu and D. Halim (2016) “HEV Energy Management Fuzzy Control for Urban Driving based on Driving Pattern Recognition”, Energy Procedia (accepted, to appear).
- X. Luo, D. Halim, P. M. Trivailo (2016) “Motion Estimation for a Flexible Manipulator using Vibration and Vision Sensing” 14th International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision, ICARCV 2016, Phuket, Thailand, 13-15 November 13 – 15 (accepted, to appear).
- Z. Wei, J. Xu and D. Halim (2015) "HEV Energy Management Fuzzy Logic Control Based on Dynamic Programming" IEEE 2015 Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference, Montréal, Canada, 19-22 October.
- Z. Wei, J. Xu and D. Halim (2015) "Study of Electro-mechanical Hybrid Braking System Control Strategy for HEV" IEEE 2015 Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference, Montréal, Canada, 19-22 October.
- S. Mareta, D. Halim and A. Popov (2015) “Control of Vehicle Vibration Using the Combined Compliant Actuator and Suspension System” Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation 2015 (IEEE/ICMA 2015), Beijing, August 2 - 5, 2015.
- S. Mareta, D. Halim, P. Trivailo, A. Popov (2015) "Vibration Control for Force Transmissibility Using a Flexible Mechanism in a Compliant Actuator", 30th International Symposium on Space Technology and Science (ISTS), the 34th International Electric Propulsion Conference (IEPC) & the 6th Nano-Satellite Symposium (NSAT), Kobe, Japan, 4-10 July.
- X. Luo, D. Halim, P. M. Trivailo (2015) “Vibration and Vision Sensing for the End-Effector Positioning of a Flexible Robotic Manipulator” 30th International Symposium on Space Technology and Science (ISTS), the 34th International Electric Propulsion Conference (IEPC) & the 6th Nano-Satellite Symposium (NSAT), Kobe, Japan, 4-10 July.
- S. Mareta, D. Halim and A. Popov (2014) “Active vibration control using compliant-based actuators” Proceedings of Internoise 2014: 43rd International Congress on Noise Control Engineering, Melbourne, Australia, November 16-19 (invited paper).
- D. Halim and L. Cheng (2014) “Active Noise Control Experiments for an Acoustic-Structural Coupled Enclosure using Structural-Based Virtual Sensors” Proceedings of Internoise 2014: 43rd International Congress on Noise Control Engineering, Melbourne, Australia, November 16-19 (invited paper).
- D. Hartono, D. Halim, A. Widodo, G. W. Roberts (2014) “Comparative Study of Gearbox Fault Diagnosis by Vibration Measurements” 3rd International Conference on Mechatronics and Computational Mechanics (ICMCM2014), Shanghai, 20-21 December.
- D. Halim, X. Luo, P. Trivailo (2014) “Decentralized Vibration Control of a Multi-Link Flexible Robotic Manipulator using Smart Piezoelectric Transducers” Acta Astronautica 104, pp. 186-196.
- Z. Wei, J. Xu, D. Halim (2014) "Control Strategy of Regenerative/Electro-Mechanical Hybrid Braking System for Hybrid Electric Vehicle Based on Urban Driving Cycle" International Forum of Automotive Traffic Safety- INFATS2014, Chongqing, 13-14 November.
- X. Luo, D. Halim, P. Trivailo (2014) “Integrated Vibration and Visual Sensing for a Vision-based End-Effector Control of A Flexible Robotic Manipulator” 65th International Astronautical Congress, Toronto, Canada, 29 September – 3 October 2014.
- Z. B. Lu, D. Halim and L. Cheng (2013), “Closed-loop control of flow-induced sound in a flow duct with downstream resonant cavities”, J. Acoust. Soc. Am, 133 (3), March 2013, pp. 1468–1479.
- D. Halim, X. Luo and P. Trivailo (2013) “Decentralized vibration control of a multi-link flexible robotic manipulator using smart piezoelectric transducers”, 64th International Astronautical Congress, Beijing, China, 23-27 September 2013.
- K.H. Yin, H.L. Choo, D. Halim and C. Rudd (2013) “Multi-response parameters optimisation for energy-efficient injection moulding process via dynamic Shainin DOE method”, Key Engineering Materials Vols. 554-557, 1669-1682.
- Z. Lu, D. Halim, L. Cheng (2013) “Flow-induced noise control behind bluff bodies with various leading edges” Proceedings of 6th ECCOMAS Conference on Smart Structures and Materials SMART2013 Politecnico di Torino, 24-26 June.
- D. Halim, L. Cheng and Z. Su (2011) “Virtual sensors for active noise control in acoustic-structural coupled enclosures using structural sensing: robust virtual sensor design” Journal of Acoustical Society of America, 129(3), 1390-1399.
- D. Halim, L. Cheng and Z. Su (2011) “Virtual sensors for active noise control in acoustic-structural coupled enclosures using structural sensing: Part II - optimisation of structural sensor placement” Journal of Acoustical Society of America, 129(4), 1991-2004.
- Z. Lu, D. Halim and L. Cheng (2011) “Active closed-loop control of vortex-induced acoustic resonance inside a downstream cavity in a duct” Proceedings of the 5th ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on Smart Structures and Materials SMART '11, Saarbrücken, Germany, July 6 – 8.
- Z. Lu, L. Cheng and D. Halim (2010) “Active control of flow-induced acoustic resonance through surface perturbation” Proceedings of Internoise 2010: Noise and Sustainability, Lisbon, Portugal, June 13-16.
- D. Halim, L. Cheng and Z. Su (2010) “Robust virtual sensors for vibro-acoustic applications using structural sensing” Proceedings of Internoise 2010: Noise and Sustainability, Lisbon, Portugal, June 13-16.