BEng Product Design and Manufacture
Type and duration:
Three or four-year undergraduate
Product Design and Manufacture
Gaokao requirements (Chinese students):
Score above the first division university entry line
Available part time:
Department: Mechanical, Materials and Manufacturing Engineering
This course equips you for a career in product design, industrial design or in the product development sector, and is aligned to the way the design process is conducted in industry today. You will develop your creativity, backed by a thorough understanding of engineering issues, to ensure that products can be manufactured within the constraints of time, cost and quality.
For domestic students the course structure follows the Chinese higher education system and is based on a four-year program with the possibility of spending two years at The University of Nottingham's UK campus.
For international students the course structure follows the UK higher education system and is based on a three-year program with the possibility of spending two years at The University of Nottingham's UK campus.
Year One (This year is not compulsory for students with appropriate qualifications for year two entry)
The preliminary year in Engineering aims to improve English language and study skills as well as enhance understanding of mathematics and the physical sciences.
Typical year one modules:
- Undergraduate Reading and Writing in Academic Contexts
- Undergraduate Listening and Speaking in Academic Contexts
- Foundation Science A: Physics
- Algebra for Physical Sciences and Engineering
- Sustainability, Engineering Communication & IT Skills
- Foundation Science B: Chemistry
- Foundation Calculus and Mathematical Techniques
- Undergraduate Academic Oral Presentations
Typical year two modules:
- Engineering Mathematics 1
- Engineering Mathematics 2
- Industrial Design
- Design and Manufacture 1
- Introduction to materials and materials forming
- Electromechanical Systems 1
- Mechanics of Solids 1
- Professional Studies
- Creative Techniques in Design
You will develop further design skills and commercial awareness in year two. There are several design projects throughout the year, complemented by modules in the areas of design techniques, manufacturing, ergonomics and business.
Typical year three modules:
- Near Net Shape Manufacture
- Automated Manufacture
- Design for Manufacture
- Production and Inventory Management
- Introduction to Marketing B
- Computer Modelling Systems
- Design Visualisation Techniques
- 2nd year design projects
- 2nd year group design project
- Ergonomics in Design
- Management Studies 1
You continue to develop design skills through project work and the modules studied become more in-depth. This includes a major design project undertaken in the final semester along with a dissertation. By the end of the course, you will have developed skills in product design, materials, and manufacture that will enable you to undertake creative professional practice in the fields of product design or product development.
Typical year four modules:
- Physical Ergonomics
- RSA Design Projects
- BEng Major Design Project
- Product Design Dissertation
- Manufacturing Process Capability
The final semester of the BEng Degree is the Major Project. This is the opportunity for you to demonstrate all the skills and knowledge that are learnt during the course.
Throughout the course, projects and coursework enable students to build an impressive portfolio of work to show potential employers. http://www.designatnottingham.com/
Careers and future study
Of the 18 undergraduates who graduated from the department in 2014 and continued onto postgraduate studies, 72% were admitted by world top 100 universities according to the 2013-14 QS World University Rankings. Our graduates find job opportunities in a range of sectors, including automotive, energy, manufacturing, railways, design and commerce.
See also Study with us.