This three year programme of research (2015-2018) provides the first systematic comparative analysis of green economy-focused smart city and eco-city initiatives in China and Europe. This will inform the identification of opportunities and pathways for shaping national and collaborative international urban and economic policy responses, engaging the state, the business sector and communities in delivering 'smart eco-city' initiatives that can promote the growth of the green economy.
The project is led by Federico Caprotti (University of Exeter), and is composed of five national teams working in collaboration with each other:
- UK team: the universities of Exeter, Westminster, Plymouth, King's College London and Cardiff.
- China team: the University of Nottingham Ningbo China, and Renmin University.
- Netherlands team: the universities of Utrecht and TU-Delft.
- Germany team: Freiburg University.
- France team: the University of Toulouse and the French Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS).