Pre-Sessional English for Academic Purposes Programme
The Pre-sessional is a full-time intensive course run in July and August each year, designed primarily for students who aim to go on to postgraduate study at The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) or study overseas.
Who should take this course?
The Pre-sessional is designed for:
- Students with conditional offers for UNNC postgraduate degree programmes, and who do not yet have the required level of English language ability for direct entry (In this case, student should apply for 8-week course only);
- Students with unconditional offers for UNNC postgraduate degree programmes, and who are interested in improving their academic English language and study skills;
- Students interested in improving their academic English language and study skills in preparation for study overseas*.
Please note that if the number of students enrolled exceeds the course quota, priority will be given to students who hold a conditional/unconditional offer from Nottingham.
* There is no guarantee that completion of the UNNC Pre-sessional will be recognised by other institutions. Applicants who intend to progress to study at an institution other than UNNC should check carefully all entry requirements relating to that institution.
The Pre-sessional will:
The Pre-sessional Programme is designed to develop both your academic English language ability and academic study skills. On the course you will learn how to:
- read academic texts effectively and efficiently and undertake research specific to your chosen major
- write for your chosen major, applying appropriate academic conventions
- deliver an academic presentation related to your chosen major and participate effectively in an academic discussion
- listen to academic lectures effectively and efficiently, and take notes as required
- use appropriate grammar and vocabulary to support clear written and spoken communication
Pre-sessional Programme students are more prepared for their academic study leading to more successful outcomes.
There are two-types of pre-sessional course in 2021. Students can choose the course most suitable for their needs. Please find course specifications by clicking the names.
4-week Pre-sessional Course
The 4-week course is an intensive course to prepare for post-graduate study.
8-week Pre-sessional Course
The 8-week course is an integrated course to prepare for post-graduate study. Also suitable for students with conditional offers for UNNC postgraduate degree programmes, and who do not yet have the required level of English language ability for direct entry.
For pre-sessional enquiries, please contact:
Tel: +86 (0)574 8818 0000 ext.8651