Jin Chen is currently an Associate Professor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation at Nottingham University Business School China. Prior to joining UNNC, she was an Associate Professor in Management Science and Engineering in School of Business, East China University of Science and Technology. Her research interests include technology innovation/entrepreneurship and external financing in emerging markets, especially focusing on the impact of political institutions on start-ups. She has published her research work in international journals, such as Research Policy, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Information & Management, European Journal of Information Systems, Journal of Global Information Management, International Journal of Electronic Commerce, and Electronic Markets.
Technology and Organisation
Corporate Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management
Research Methods for Management Studies
Current research projects include:
- Governmental venture capitalists in China and high-tech start-ups’ innovation and entrepreneurship. Funding support from NSFC China (No. 71772061)
- Government subsidy and firm performance in China’s transition economies
- Start-ups’ technological innovation and external financing in high-velocity environments
Chen, J., Hu A.A., and Shen, M.X. (2019) “The Effect of Crowdfunding Platforms on Entrepreneurial Financing: Review and Future Research Direction,” Science & Technology Progress and Policy (Chinese Journal, CSSCI), forthcoming.
- Li, Y., Yang, K., Chen, J., Gupta, S., and Ning, F.Y. (2019) “Can An Apology Change After-crisis User Attitude? The Role of Social Media in Online Crisis Management,” Information Technology & People (ABS 3), forthcoming.
- Chen, J., Heng, C.S., Tan, B.C.Y., and Lin, Z.J. (2018) “The Distinct Signaling Effects of R&D Subsidy and Non-R&D Subsidy on IPO Performance of IT Entrepreneurial Firms in China,” Research Policy (FT 50, ABS 4*), (47:1) pp. 108-120.
- Chen, J., Lim, W.Y, Tan, B.C.Y., and Ling, H. (2018) “The Role of Functional Diversity, Collective Team Identification, and Task Cohesion in Influencing Innovation Speed: Evidence from Software Development Teams,” Journal of Global Information Management (ABS 2), (26:2) pp.163–192.
- Chen, J., Tang, S.L., Zhang, M.J., and Li, J.R. (2016) “The Signaling Effect of Start-up's Patents on VC Valuation: The Role of Radical and Incremental Innovation Patents and Contextual Risk Factors,” Quarterly Journal of Management, (Chinese Journal), (1:4) pp. 72–93.
- Chen, J., Hu, A.A., and Huang, L.H. (2015) “Political Institutional Resources and the Innovation of Small and Medium IT Enterprises – Related Research Review and Prospects,” Journal of Business Economics, (Chinese Journal), (286:8) pp. 75–81.
- Chen, J., Ping, J. W., Xu, Y.J., and Tan, B.C.Y. (2015) “Information Privacy Concern About Peer Disclosure in Online Social Networks,” IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, (ABS 3), (62:3) pp. 311–324.
- Chen, J., Chen, J., Goh, K.-Y., Xu, Y.J., and Tan, B.C.Y. (2014) “When Do Sellers Bifurcate from Electronic Multisided Platforms? The Effects of Customer Demand, Competitive Intensity, and Service Differentiation,” Information & Management (ABS 3), (51:8) pp. 972–983.
- Chen, J., Wang, D., and Chen, J. (2014) “Understanding Organizational Agility Development for a Government: A Process Model of Resource Configuration,” Frontiers of Business Research in China, (8:1) pp. 73–97.
- Zheng, D.Q., Chen, J., Huang, L.H. and Zhang, C. (2013) “E-government Adoption in Public Administration Organizations: Integrating Institutional Theory Perspective and Resource-based View,” European Journal of Information Systems (ABS 3), (22:2) pp. 221–234.
- Chen, J., Zhang, C. and Xu, Y.J. (2009) “The Role of Mutual Trust in Building Members’ Loyalty to a C2C Platform Provider,” International Journal of Electronic Commerce (ABS 3), (14:1) pp. 149–173.
- Chen, J., Zhang, C., Yuan, Y.F. and Huang, L.H. (2007) “Understanding the Emerging C2C Electronic Market in China: An Experience-Seeking Social Marketplace,” Electronic Markets (ABS 2), (17:2), pp. 86–100.
Chen, J., Hao, B., Feng, Y.N., and Mu, P.Q. (2019) “How does venture capitalists’ portfolio strategy matter? Predicting start-ups’ technological portfolio change,” Strategic Management Society (SMS) Annual Conference, Minneapolis, USA.
Chan, J., Ding, Y., Chen, J., and Yu, S. (2019) “What Type of Entrepreneurs Do Crowdfunding Spur? Evidence from A Cross-National Quasi-Experiment,” Academy of Management Journal Paper and Idea Development Workshop, Santiago, Chile.
Hao, B., Chen, J., Ge, C.M., and Li, H.Y. (2019) “Making Evaluation When Category Systems Keep Shuffling: The Duality of Category Spanning,” Academy of Management Journal Paper and Idea Development Workshop, Santiago, Chile.
- Chen, J., Feng, Y., and Hao, B. (2018) “Inter-organizational Endorsement and Firm Exploitation and Exploration: An Investigation of VC-backed Start-ups,” Strategic Management Society (SMS) Annual Conference, Paris, France.
- Shen, M.X., Chan, J., Ding, Y., and Chen, J. (2018) “The Impact of Prosocial Microlending on Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies: A Cross-National Natural Experiment,” Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS), New Orleans, USA.
- Chen, J., Heng, C.S., and Tan, B.C.Y. (2014) “To Better Leverage Government R&D Grants for IT Innovation: Is Past R&D Experience Capability or Liability?” International Association for Chinese Management Research (IACMR) Conference, Beijing, China.
- Chen, J., Jin, Y.W., Heng, C.S., and Tan, B.C.Y. (2012) “Effects of Government R&D Grants on IT Entrepreneurial Firm Performance: A New Perspective on Exploration vs. Exploitation,” International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Orlando, USA.
- Chen, J. and Tan, B.C.Y. (2011) “The Influences of Political Institutional Resources on IT Entrepreneurial Firm Performance in Emerging Economies,” International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Shanghai, China.
- Chen, J., Wang, D. and Pan, S.L. (2011) “Understanding Organizational Agility Development for Government - A Process Model of Resource Configuration,” Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems (PACIS), Brisbane, Australia.
- Chen, J., Ping, W.J., Xu, Y.J. and Tan, B.C.Y. (2009) “Am I Afraid of My Peers? Understanding the Antecedents of Information Privacy Concerns in the Online Social Context,” International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Phoenix, USA.