Professor in Mathematics, Head of School of Mathematical Sciences, Head of Partial Differential Equations Research Group
Mathematical Sciences / Faculty of Science and Engineering
IAMET 214, Sir David and Lady Susan Greenaway Building
University of Nottingham Ningbo China
199 Taikang East Road, Ningbo, 315100, China
+86 574 8818 0000-8313
BSc (UMass, Cum Laude)
I joined the The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) in August, 2013. Before that I was an associate professor at Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University, where I held the post of the Director of the Applied Mathematics Programme. Prior to that, I worked for six years for an oil company in the Middle East, after concluding 16 years tenure at the Iran University of Science and Technology, Tehran, Iran.
My research area is nonlinear partial differential equations associated with physical phenomena arising in solid and fluid mechanics, economics and biology. The type of questions that I address range a wide spectrum starting from the existence and uniqueness of solutions to more modern questions pertaining to the symmetry and regularity of the solutions. Recently, in collaboration with Dr Amin Farjudian, we have been able to produce numerical results confirming our theoretical outputs.
Editor Australian Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, Australia.
Editor Involve: A Journal in Mathematics, UC-Berkeley.
Editor Journal of Pro-Poor Growth.
Reviewer, Mathematical Reviews, USA.
Visiting researcher, the Fields Institute, Toronto, Canada, September 2016- August 2017 (Hosts: Professors Almut Burchard and Robert MCcann).
Visiting Professor, The Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, June 1-June 7, 2009.(Host: Professor H. Shahgholian)
Visiting professor, The University of Cagliari, Italy, July 3-24, 2005 (Host: Professor G. Porru).
Visiting Scholar, The Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, May 1-18, 2004 (Host: Professor H. Shahgholian).
Lebanese University and the American University in Beirut, October 21-28, 2002 (Hosts: Professors M. Jazar and A. Shamsseddin).
Supervised student theses/dissertation
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
Liu, Y., 2011-2013, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University.
Zivari-Rezapour, M., 2007, Dr. Zivari-Rezapour is currently an assistant professor at Ahwaz University, Iran.
Mehrabi, M., 2005, Dr. Mehrabi is currently an assistant professor at Ahwaz University, Iran.
Bahrami, F., 2004, Dr. Bahrami is currently an associate professor at the University of Tabriz, Iran.
PhD thesis examination
Lindgren, E. (2009), supervisor: Prof. H. Shahgholian, Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden.
Karakhanyan, A. (2004), Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden. Dr. Karakhanyan is currently a Lecturer at the University of Edinburgh, UK
Khatibzadeh, M. (2003), Supervisor: Prof. B. Rouhani, Tarbiat Modarres University, Iran.
Moameni, A. (2003), Supervisor: Prof. M. Hesaraaki, Shraif University of Technology, Iran. Dr. Momeni is currently an assistant professor at the University of Lethbridge, Canada.
- Chairman, the 6th UAE MATHDAY, April 26, 2008, The Petroleum Institute, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Chairman, 14th Seminar in Mathematical Analysis and Its Applications, Feb. 4-5, 2004, IUST, Iran.
- Co-chairman, First workshop on nonlinear functional analysis and its applications, Jan. 20-24, 2002, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran.
- Member of the scientific and organizing committees of the 2nd international conference on applied mathematics, IUST, October 25-27, 2000.
- Member of the organizing committee of the 1st international conference on applied mathematics, IUST, Oct. 17-19, 1991.
Awards / Patents
Visiting Fellowship, Issac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Cambridge University, 2014.
“Research and Scholarship Award” of the academic year 2005-6, the Petroleum Institute, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
Member, Institute for Studies in Theoretical Physics and Mathematics (IPM), 2001-2004. The membership was awarded to only nine researchers in Iran.
“Outstanding Teaching Award” of the academic year 1999-2000 IUST, at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Keynote speaker, the 46th Annual Iranian Mathematics Conference, August 25-28 August, 2015, Yazd, Iran.
Refereed journal papers
- Emamizadeh, Behrouz; Liu, Yichen. Bang-Bang and Multiple Valued Optimal Solutions of Control Problems Related to Quasi-linear Elliptic Equations. SIAM J. Control Optim.58 (2020), no. 2, 1103--1117.
- Emamizadeh, Behrouz; Liu, Yichen. Analyticity of free boundary in an optimal harvesting problem. Lett. Math. Phys. 110 (2020), no. 6, 1191–-1199.
- Bhattacharya, Tilak; Emamizadeh, Behrouz; Farjudian, Amin. Existence of continuous eigenvalues for a class of parametric problems involving the $(p,2)$-Laplacian operator. Acta Appl. Math. 165 (2020), 65--79.
- B. Emamizadeh, Y. Liu and G. Porru, Extension of Talenti's inequality and maximum values relative to rearrangement classes, Numerical Functional Analysis and Optimization, Vol. 40, No. 5, pp 586-602, 2019.
- B. Emamizadeh, Y. Liu and G. Porru, Extensions of a result by G. Talenti to (p,q)-Laplace equations,Nonlinear Analysis, Vol. 180, pp 41-51, 2019.
- B. Emamizadeh, A. Farjudian and Y. Liu, Optimal Harvesting Strategy Based on Rearrangements of Functions, Applied Mathematics and Computation, Vol. 320, pp 677-690, 2018.
- Y. Liu and B. Emamizadeh, Converse symmetry and intermediate energy values in rearrangement optimization problems, SIAM Journal of Control and Optimization, Vol. 55, No. 3, pp 2088–2107, 2017.
- B. Emamizadeh, A. Farjudian and H. Mikayelyan. An elliptic optimal control problem and its two relaxations. J. Opt Theory and Appl., Vol. 172, No. 2, pp 455–465, 2017.
- Y. Liu and B. Emamizadeh, Rearrangement minimization problems with indefinite external forces. Nonlinear Analysis TMA, Vol. 145, pp 162-175, 2016.
- B. Emamizadeh and A. Farjudian, Existence and uniqueness of solutions for nonlocal p-Laplacian problems, Electronic Journal of differential Equation, Vol 2016, No. 274, pp 1-9, 2016.
- Y. Liu, B. Emamizadeh, and A. Farjudian, Optimization problems with fixed volume constraints and stability results related to rearrangement classes. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, Vol. 443 (2), pp 1293–1310, 2016.
- Behrouz Emamizadeh, Amin Farjudian and Mohsen Zivari-Rezapour, Optimization related to some nonlocal problems of Kirchhoff type, Canadian. J. Math. Vol. 68 (3), 2016, pp 521-540.
- Y. Liu and B. Emamizadeh, Monotonicity and stability of optimal solutions of a minimization problem, Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, 25 (2015), 94-101.
- B. Emamizadeh and Yichen Liu, Constrained and unconstrained rearrangement minimization problems related to the P-Laplace operator, Israel Journal of Mathematics, 206 (2015), 281-298.
- Farjudian and B. Emamizadeh, Absolute continuity in partial differential equations, Real Analysis Exchange, Volume 40, Number 1, 2014/2015, pp. 1-9.
- Emamizadeh, M. Marras, Some optimization problems with free boundaries, Numerical Functional Analysis and Optimization, 35 (2014), no. 4, 404—422.
- Farjudian and B. Emamizadeh, Some results on radial symmetry in partial differential equations, New York Journal of mathematics, 20 (2014) 241-255.
- Farjudian and B. Emamizadeh, Monotonicity of the Principal eigenvalue related to a non-isotropic vibrating membrane, Nonautonomous Dynamical Systems, 1 (2014), 123-136.
- Farjudian and B. Emamizadeh , Maximal mean exit time related to the P-Laplace operator, Applied Mathematics E-Notes, 14(2014), 173-184.
- Emamizadeh and M. Zivari-Rezapou. Optimization of the principal eigenvalue of the pseudo p-Laplacian operator with Robin boundary conditions. Internat. J. Math. 23 (2012), no. 12, 1250127, 17 pp.
- Emamizadeh and M. Zivari-Rezapour, Equality case in Tallenti inequality, Electronic Journal of Differential Equations, Vol. 2011, No. 165, 2011, pp. 1-8.
- Emamizadeh and M. Zivari-Rezapour, Rearrangements and Minimization of the Principal eigenvalue of a nonlinear Steklov problem, Nonlinear Analysis TMA, Vol. 74, 2011, pp. 5697-5704.
- F. Bahrami, B. Emamizadeh and A. Mohammadi, Existence of an extremal ground state energy of a nanostructured quantum dot, Nonlinear Analysis TMA, Vol. 74, issue 17, 2011, pp 6287-6294.
- Emamizadeh, J. Prajapat, H. Shahgholian, A two phase free boundary problem related to qudrature domains, Potential Analysis, Vol. 34, no. 2, 2011, pp. 119-138.
- Emamizadeh, Decreasing rearrangement and measure preserving maps, Real Analysis Exchange, Vol. 36, no. 1, 2011, pp 161-168.
- F. Cuccu, B. Emamizadeh and G. Porru, Design of a composite membrane with patches, Applied Mathematics and Optimization, Vol. 62, no. 2, 2010, pp 164-184.
- Emamizadeh and J. V. Prajapat, Minimax rearrangement optimization problems, Optimization Letters, Vol. 5, No. 4, 2011, pp. 647-664.
- Emamizadeh, Applications of a weighted symmetrisation inequality to elastic membranes and plates, Journal of Inequalities and applications , Vol. 2010, 2010, 12 pages.
- B. Emamizadeh, K. Ivaz and T. Nikazad, Unique Continuation and Inverse Problems for Heat Equations, Advanced Modeling and Optimization , Vol. 12, 2010, pp. 225-232.
- B. Emamizadeh and M. Al Hanai, Investment in real estates and rearrangements, Numerical Functional Analysis and Optimization , Vol 30, No. 5 and 6, 478-485, 2009.
- F. Cuccu, B. Emamizadeh and G. Porru, Optimization of the first eigenvalue in problems involving the P-Laplacian, Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society . Vol. 137, no. 5, pp. 1677-1687, 2009.
- B. Emamizadeh, J. Prajapat, Symmetry in rearrangement optimization problems, Electronic Journal of Differential Equations , Vol. 2009(2009), no. 149, pp. 1-10.
- B. Emamizadeh and M. Zivari, Monotonicity of the principal eigenvalue of the p-Laplacian in an annulus, Proceedings of AMS , Vol 136, 2008, 1725-1731.
- B. Emamizadeh and R. I. Fernandes, Optimization of the principal eigenvalue of the one dimensional Schrödinger operator. Electronic Journal of Differential Equations , Vol 65, 2008, 1-11.
- B. Emamizadeh, R. I. Fernandes and M. Poshtan, Applications of rearrangements to nonlinear optimization problems. Advanced Modeling and Optimization , Vol. 10 (2008), no. 2, 323--329.
- S. H. Al Hashimi, K. Dib and B. Emamizadeh, Existence of positive solutions to a nonlinear Biharmonic equation, International Mathematical Forum , Vol. 3, (40), 2008, 1959-1964.
- B. Emamizadeh and M. Zivari, Optimization problem for a nonlinear elliptic equation, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications , Vol. 135 (3), 367-379, 2007.
- Allison and B. Emamizadeh, Shape optimizations and rearrangements. Far East Journal of Dynamical systems , Vol. 9(1), 2007, 93-106.
- Didenko and B. Emamizadeh, A characterization of balls using the domain derivative, Electronic Journal of Differential Equations , 154, 2006,1-5.
- Emamizadeh, R.I. Fernandes. A monotonicity result related to clamped triangular elastic membranes. Adv. Model. Optim. 11, no. 3, 247–252, 2009.
- Cuccu, B. Emamizadeh and G. Porru, Rearrangement optimization of composite membranes, Vol. 47, 2006, 12 pages, Journal of Mathematical Physics .
- Emamizadeh and M. H. Mehrabi, Existence of solutions to the three dimensional Barotropic-vorticity equation, Methods and Applications of Analysis . Vol 14, no. 1, 2007, 77--85.
- Cuccu, B. Emamizadeh and G. Porru, Nonlinear elastic membrane involving the P-Laplacian operator, Electronic Journal of Differential Equations , Vol. 2006 (49) (2006), 1-10.
- B. Emamizadeh and M. Zivari, Applications of monotone rearrangements to a certain class of boundary value problems, International Journal of Applied Mathematics , Vol 18 (3), 279-288, 2005.
- Auchmuty, B. Emamizadeh and M. Zivari, Dependence of Friedrichs' Constant on Boundary Integrals, Proc. Royal Society of Edinburgh-Section A (Mathematics) , Vol. 135 (5) (2005), 935-940.
- B. Emamizadeh and F. Bahrami, Existence of seamount steady vortex flows. The J. Australian Math. Soc., Series B , 47, 2005, 75-88.
- B. Emamizadeh, Decreasing rearrangements and a fuzzy variational problem. Applied Math. Lett. , Vol. 18 (2), 2005, 171-178.
- B. Emamizadeh, F. Bahrami and M. H. Mehrabi, Steiner symmetric vortices attached to seamounts, Comm. Pure. Appl. Analysis . 3(4), 2004, 663-674.
- B. Emamizadeh and F. Bahrami, Existence of solutions for Baratropic-Vorticity equation in an unbounded domain, Rocky Mountain Journal of Mathematics . 36(1), 2006, 135-147.
- B. Emamizadeh, An inverse heat equation in two space dimensions, Appl. Math. Letters , Vol. 17(10), 2004, 1161-1165.
- B. Emamizadeh, A variational problem for steady vortices in a shear flow past an obstacle, Journal of Computational Analysis and Applications , Vol. 5(4), 2003, 399-411.
- J. Nycander and B. Emamizadeh, Variational problem for vortices attached to seamounts, Nonlinear Anal. , 55(2003), 15-24.
- B. Emamizadeh and M. H. Mehrabi, Uniqueness and radial symmetry for an inverse elliptic equation, Int. J. Math. Math. Sci. , 48(2003), 3047-3052.
- B. Emamizadeh and M. H. Mehrabi, Asymptotic behavior of the centroids of a family of vortices, J. Math. Phys. , 44(2003), 4119-4133.
- B. Emamizadeh and F. Bahrami, Steady vortex flows obtained from an inverse problem, Bull. Austral. Math. Soc. , 66 (2002), 213-226.
- B. Emamizadeh and M.H. Mehrabi, Steady vortex flows obtained from a constrained variational problem, Internat. J. Math. Math. Sci. , 30(2002), 283-300.
- B. Emamizadeh, Existence of a steady flow with bounded vortex in an unbounded domain, Journal of Sciences I.R.I , 12 (1), 57-63, 2001.
- B. Emamizadeh, Steady vortex in a uniform shear flow of an ideal fluid, Proceedings Royal Society Edin. , 130(4), 801-812, 2000.
- R. Burton and B. Emamizadeh, A constrained variational problem for the steady vortices in a shear flow, Communications in PDE , 24(7/8), 1999, pp 1341-1365.
Funded projects / Research grants
Research and travel grants
2007-2010 Title: Estimates and optimization of the principal eigenvalue for the p-Laplacian operator. Abu Dhabi National Oil Company, USD 30000.
2009 Travel Grant, to visit the Royal Institute of Technology, USD 3000.
2005 Travel Grant, to visit the University of Cagliari, USD 8000.