Professor, Head of School of Computer Science
Computer Science / Faculty of Science and Engineering
PMB 425, Sir Peter Mansfield Building
University of Nottingham Ningbo China
199 Taikang East Road, Ningbo, 315100, China
+86 574 8818000 (ext 8278)
PhD in Computer Science
MSc in CAD/CAM
BSc in Aircraft Manufacturing Engineering
Prof. Ruibin Bai holds BSc and MSc degrees from Northwestern Polytechnic University, China and a PhD from University of Nottingham UK. He joined the University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) in 2007 after spending 2 years as a postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Nottingham, UK. He is now a professor in the School of Computer Science and an IEEE senior member. During his time at UNNC, he has been awarded 3 NSFC (National Natural Science Foundation of China) grants, 3 from Zhejiang Province (including an “Outstanding Young Scientist Grant”) and 4 from Ningbo Sci&Tech Bureau as the principal investigator, with total fund over RMB 5m (approximately GBP550K). His current research interests include computational intelligence, machine learning, operations research, modelling, scheduling and optimisation with a special focus on transportation systems and healthcare. He has published over 50 academic papers, of which 24 are SCI indexed journals, including publications in the most influential journals in computational intelligence (e.g. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, INFORMS Journal on Computing), Information Technology and Operations Research (e.g. Information Sciences, EJOR) and their applications in transportation (e.g. Transportation Research Part B &E). Two of conference papers won the best paper awards (ACM GEC 2009 & ICOSCM2015) and one was nominated for the best paper award finalist in IEEE SSCI 2013. He serves as an Associate Editor for Networks (an SCI-indexed journal) and chairs the IEEE Computational Intelligence in Scheduling and Network Design (CISND 2016-2018) International Conference and also serves as a member of Program Committee in several influential international conferences (IEEE CEC, IEEE SSCI, GECCO, MISTA, EvoCOP, ISDA, IEA/AIE, ACM GEC). He is also a regular peer reviewer for top journals (IEEE TEVC, IEEE TSMCA, TRB, ESWA, Information Sciences, Annals OR, Journal of Scheduling, Omega, Journal of Heuristics, etc.).
Journal Networks Associate Editor (2017- present)
IEEE SSCI Symposium on Scheduling and Network Design (2016-2018), Chair
IEEE Senior Member
Board member of China Operations Research Society – Scheduling subcommittee (2016-present)
Board member of China Operations Research Society – Healthcare Operations subcommittee (2016-present)
International Symposium on Logistics, International Advisor
My research areas include:
AI,Computational Intelligence ,Meta-heuristic, Hyper-heuristic,Evolutionary,Algorithms,Transportation Logistics,Vehicle Routing Problem, Bin Packing, Retail Shelf Allocationn, Fresh Produce Inventory,Timetabling
WoS ResearcherID: D-6027-2011
Scopus Author ID: 21741757200
Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.com.hk/citations?user=p2ORwa4AAAAJ&hl=en
I have taught the following modules at undergraduate level since 2007.
• AE1CSA: Computer System Architectures (2007-2013)
• AE1UST: Unix Software and Tools (2007-2008)
• AE1DBS: Database Systems (2007-2015)
• AE1PRG: Programming (2014-2015)
• AE1IMO: Introduction to Modelling and Optimisation (2014-2015)
• AE2OSC: Operating System and Concurrency (2015-2017)
• AE3IDS/J: Individual Dissertation Single/Joint Honours (2014-2017)
• AE2AIM: Artificial Intelligence Methods. (2017-2019)
Internal Examination of PhD and MPhil degrees
I am the first supervisor for the following 5 PhD students.
- Jianun Chen: Freight transportation optimisation, Gradated in 2016.
- Tianxiang Cui: Hybridising Metaheuristics and Exact Methods For Portfolio Optimisation Problem. Graduated in 2016.
- Ning Xue: Hybrid algorithms for vehicle routing problems, Graduated in January 2017.
- Xiang Li: Life cycle assessment (LCA) based optimisation in automotive engineering, to Graduated in May 2017.
- Xia Li: Transportation intelligence and data analytics, Graduated in July 2017.
- Xiaoping Jiang: Stochastic service network design optimisation, to finish in March. 2019
- Yuchang Zhang: Approximate Dynamic Programming for Port Optimisations, Started in 2016.
- Chaofan Tu: Robust data mining in healthcare informatics. Started in 2017.
My research interests are mainly focused on employing latest search and machine learning techniques (Meta-heuristics, Hyper-heuristics, Evolutionary Algorithms, and Machine Learning) as well as conventional optimisation approaches (LP/IP/MIP, Branch & Bound, Cutting Plane, Nonlinear Programming) to solve various real-world problem applications, including transportation scheduling, space planning, and timetabling. I am particularly interested in studying how search algorithms can automatically adapt to different environments and circumstances by learning from either during or after search processes.
Refereed Journal Paper
- Binhui Chen, Rong Qu, Ruibin Bai, Wasakorn Laesanklang. 2018. A Hyper-Heuristic with Two Guidance Indicators for Bi-Objective Mixed-Shift Vehicle Routing Problem with Time Windows. Applied Intelligence. Accepted. (SCI Q2, IF: 1.983, Regular paper).
- *Ruibin Bai, John R. Woodward, Nachiappan Subramanian, John Cartlidge. 2018. Optimisation of Transportation Service Network Using κ-node Large Neighbourhood Search. Computers & Operations Research. 89:193-205. doi: 10.1016/j.cor.2017.06.008. (SCI).
- Chaudhuri, Atanu, Popovska, Iskra Dukovska, Subramanian, Nachiappan, Chan, Hing Kai and Bai, Ruibin. 2018 Decision-making in cold chain logistics using data analytics: a literature review. International Journal of Logistics Management. 29(3): 839-861 (SCI Q3, IF: 1.776).
- Adarsh Kumar Singh, Nachiappan Subramanian, Kulwant Singh Pawar and Ruibin Bai. 2018. Cold chain configuration design: Location-allocation decision-making using coordination, value deterioration, and big data approximation. Annals of Operations Research 270: 433–457. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10479-016-2332-z , (SCI Q2, IF: 1.864).
- Xiaoping Jiang, *Ruibin Bai, Jason Atkin, Graham Kendall. 2016. A Scheme for Determining Vehicle Routes Based on Arc-based Service Network Design. Information Systems and Operational Research. 55(1):16-37. (SCI, Regular paper).
- Dongsheng Zhao, Gethin Wyn Roberts, Lawrence Lau, Craig M. Hancock and Ruibin Bai. 2016. A Theoretical and Empirical Integrated Method to Select the Optimal Combined Signals for Geometry-Free and Geometry-Based Three-Carrier Ambiguity Resolution. Sensors. 16(11), 1929. doi: doi:10.3390/s16111929. (SCI, Regular paper).
- Xiang Li, Ruibin Bai and Jon McKechnie. 2016. Environmental and financial performance of mechanical recycling of carbon fibre reinforced polymers and comparison with conventional disposal routes. Journal of Cleaner Production. 127: 451-460 (SCI, Regular Paper).
- Graham Kendall, Ruibin Bai, Jacek Blazewicz, Patrick De Causmaecker, Michel Gendreau, Robert John, Jiawei Li, Barry McCollum, Erwin Pesch, Rong Qu, Nasser Sabar, Greet Vanden Berghe and Angelina Yee. 2016. Good Laboratory Practice for optimization research. Journal of the Operational Research Society. 67(4): 676–689. doi: 10.1057/jors.2015.77. (SCI, Regular Paper).
- Ruibin Bai, Ning Xue, Jianjun Chen and Gethin W. Roberts. 2015. A Set-covering Model for a Bidirectional Multi-shift Full Truckload Vehicle Routing Problem. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological. 79:134-148. doi: 10.1016/j.trb.2015.06.002.(SCI, Regular Paper).
- Jingpeng Li, Ruibin Bai, Yindong Shen, and Rong Qu. 2014. Search with Evolutionary Ruin and Stochastic Rebuild: a Theoretic Framework and a Case Study on Exam Timetabling. European Journal of Operations Research. 242:798-806. doi:10.1016/j.ejor.2014.11.002. (SCI, Regular Paper, ABS Level4).
- Rong Qu, Nam Pham, Ruibin Bai, Graham Kendall. 2014. Hybridising heuristics within an estimation distribution algorithm for examination timetabling. Applied Intelligence. 42:679–693. doi:10.1007/s10489-014-0615-0. (SCI, Regular Paper).
- Ramanathan J. Basu, Ruibin Bai, and PL.A. Palaniappan. 2015. A strategic approach to improve sustainability in transportation service procurement. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review. 74:152-168. (SCI, Regular Paper).
- Ruibin Bai, Stein W. Wallace, Jingpeng Li and Alain Yee-Loong, Alain.2014. Stochastic Service Network Design with Rerouting. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological. 60:50-65. doi:10.1016/j.trb.2013.11.001. (SCI, Regular Paper, ABS Level 4).
- Yisong Chen, Yanping Yang, Xiang Li, Haibo Dong and Ruibin Bai. 2014. Life cycle resource consumption of automotive power seats. International Journal of Environmental Studies 71(4):449-462. doi:10.1080/00207233.2014.942150
- Bai, Ruibin, Li, Jiawei, Atkin , Jason A D, and Kendall, Graham. 2014. A Novel Approach to Independent Taxi Scheduling Problem Based on Stable Matching. Journal of the Operational Research Society. 65(10):1501-1510. dio:10.1057/jors.2013.96. (SCI, Regular Paper).
- Chong, A.Y.L. and Bai, Ruibin, 2014. Predicting open IOS adoption in SMEs: An integrated SEM-neural network approach. Expert Systems with Application. 41(1):221-229. doi: 10.1016/j.eswa.2013.07.023. (SCI, Regular Paper).
- Shi Cheng, Yuhui Shi, Quande Qin, Qingyu Zhang and Ruibin Bai. 2015. Population Diversity Maintenance In Brain Storm Optimization Algorithm. Journal of Artificial Intelligence and Soft Computing Research. 4(2):83-97. (doi: 10.1515/jaiscr-2015-0001, Regular Paper).
- Xing, Huanlai, Qu, Rong, Kendall, Graham and Bai, Ruibin. 2013. A path-oriented encoding evolutionary algorithm for network coding resource minimization. Journal of the Operational Research Society. 65(8):1261–1277. doi:10.1057/jors.2013.79. (SCI, Regular Paper).
- Ruibin Bai, Tom van Woensel, Graham Kendall and Edmund K. Burke. 2013. A new model and a hyper-heuristic approach for two-dimensional shelf space allocation, 4OR - A Quarterly Journal of Operations Research, 11(1):31-55. doi: 10.1007/s10288-012-0211-2. (SCI, Regular Paper).
- Li, J., Davies, G.J., Kendall, G., Soanec, E., Bai, R., Rocks, S.A., Evidence and Belief in Regulatory Decisions Incorporating Expected Utility into decision modelling, Expert Systems with Applications, 39(10):8604-8610, 2012. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2012.01.193. (SCI, Regular Paper).
- Bai, R., Kendall, G., Qu, R., Atkin, J. Tabu assisted guided local search approaches for freight service network Design. Information Sciences, 189:266-281, 2012. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ins.2011.11.028. (SCI, Regular Paper).
- Bai, R., J. Blazewicz, E. Burke, G. Kendall and B. McCollum, B. A Simulated Annealing Hyper-heuristic Methodology for Flexible Decision Support. 4OR - A Quarterly Journal of Operations Research, 10(1):43-66, 2012. doi: 10.1007/s10288-011-0182-8. (SCI, Regular Paper).
- Bai, R., Burke, E. K., Kendall, G., Li, J. and McCollum, B. 2010. A Hybrid Evolutionary Approach to the Nurse Rostering Problem. IEEE Transaction on Evolutionary Computation, 14(4):580-590. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TEVC.2009.2033583. (SCI, Regular Paper).
- Bai, R. and Kendall, G. 2008. A Model for Fresh Produce Shelf Space Allocation and Inventory Management with Freshness Condition Dependent Demand, INFORMS Journal on Computing 20(1):78-85. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1287/ijoc.1070.0219. (SCI, Regular Paper).
- Bai, R. , Burke, E. K. and Kendall, G. 2008. Heuristic and Meta-heuristics for the Optimisation of Fresh Produce Inventory Control and Shelf Space Allocation Problem, Journal of the Operational Research Society 59:1387-1397. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jors.2602463. (SCI, Regular Paper).
- Bai, R., Modeling Issues of Multi-level Multi-Mode Freight Service Network Design and Fleet Scheduling, China Market-Logistics and Procurement Research, 41: 107-120, 2010, in Chinese.
- Bai, Ruibin and Kendall, Graham, 2005. An Investigation of Automated Planograms Using a Simulated Annealing Based Hyper-heuristics. Operations Research/Computer Science Interfaces Series 32: 87-108.
Cartlidge, John and Gong, Shuhui and Bai, Ruibin and Yue, Yang and Li, Qingquan and Qiu, Guoping. 2018. Spatio-temporal prediction of shopping behaviours using taxi trajectory data, 2018 IEEE 3rd International Conference on Big Data Analysis (ICBDA 2018), pp. 112—116, Shanghai, China, March 9-12, 2018.
- Gong, Shuhui and Cartlidge, John and Bai, Ruibin and Yue, Yang and Li, Qingquan and Qiu, Guoping. 2018. Automated prediction of shopping behaviours using taxi trajectory data and social media reviews. 2018 IEEE 3rd International Conference on Big Data Analysis (ICBDA 2018), pp. 112—116, Shanghai, China, March 9-12, 2018.
- Ruibin Bai, Stein W. Wallace, Xiaoping Jiang, Graham Kendall, Dario Landa-Silva. 2018. Designing e-Commerce Transportation Network: Challenges and Solutions. 6th INFORMS Transportation Science and Logistics Society Workshop. 7 - 10 January, 2018. Hong Kong, China.
- Ruibin Bai, Ning Xue, Xia Li, Tianxiang Cui. 2017. Responsive Single Bus Corridor Scheduling Based on Machine Learning and Optimisation. The 8th Multidisciplinary International Conference on Scheduling: Theory and Applications (MISTA 2017). 5 Dec - 8 Dec 2017, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Xiaoping Jiang, Ruibin Bai, Dario Landa-Silva and Uwe Aickelin. Fuzzy C-Means-based Scenario Bundling for Stochastic Service Network Design. 2017 IEEE Symposiums on Computational Intelligence in Scheduling and Network Design (CISND2017), November 27 To December 1, 2017, Hawaii, USA.
- X. Li, R. Bai, Freight Vehicle Travel Time Prediction Using Gradient Boosting Regression Tree, The 15th IEEE International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications (IEEE ICMLA'16), Anaheim, California, USA, December 18-20, 2016. (Poster Paper)
- Ruibin Bai, John R. Woodward and Nachiappan Subramanian. 2016. A New Fast Large Neighbourhood Search for Service Network Design with Asset Balance Constraints. 2016 IEEE Symposiums on Computational Intelligence in Scheduling and Network Design (CISND2017), 6-9 December, 2016 Athens, Greece.
- Jianjun Chen, Ruibin Bai, Haibo Dong, Rong Qu and Graham Kendall. 2016. A Dynamic Truck Dispatching Problem in Marine Container Terminal. 2016 IEEE Symposiums on Computational Intelligence in Scheduling and Network Design (CISND2017), 6-9 December, 2016 Athens, Greece.
- Li, X., Bai, R., 2016. Freight vehicle travel time prediction using sparse Gaussian processes regression with trajectory data, in the proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Intelligent Data Engineering and Automated Learning (IDEAL 2016), Yangzhou, China, October 12–14, 2016, pp. 143–153.
- Ning Xue, Ruibin Bai. A Branch-and-price Approach for the Bidirectional Multi-shift Full Truckload Vehicle Routing Problem. The 8th International Annual Conference of the Chinese Scholars Association for Management Science and Engineering (CSAMSE2015), Shenyang, China. 25-27 July, 2015.
- Ning Xue, Ruibin Bai, Gethin W. Roberts. A study of automated container truck travel time prediction based on real-life GPS data Using ARIMA. The 9th International Conference on Operations and Supply Chain Management (ICOSCM2015). This paper was given the “Outstanding Paper Award”, 12th -15th July 2015.
- Tianxiang Cui, Ruibin Bai, Andrew J. Parkes, Fang He, Rong Qu, Jingpeng Li. 2015. A Hybrid Genetic Algorithm for a Two-Stage Stochastic Portfolio Optimization With Uncertain Asset Prices. In the proceedings of 2015 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC2015), Sendai, Japan, 25-28th May 2015.
- Xia Li, Ruibin Bai, Peer-Olaf Siebers and Christian Wagner. 2014. Modeling Urban Road Risky Driving Behaviors in China with Multi-agent Microscopic Traffic Simulation. 2014 IEEE 17th International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC). October 8-11, 2014. Qingdao, China.
- Tianxiang Cui, Shi Cheng and Ruibin Bai. 2014. A Combinatorial Algorithm for the Cardinality Constrained Portfolio Optimization Problem. 2014 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC) July 6-11, Beijing, China. pp. 491-498.
- Shi Cheng, Yuhui Shi, Quande Qin, T. O. Ting and Ruibin Bai. 2014. Maintaining Population Diversity in Brain Storm Optimization Algorithm. 2014 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC) July 6-11, Beijing, China. pp. 3230-3237.
- Cheng, Shi, Shi, Yuhui, Qin, Quande and Bai, Ruibin. 2013. Swarm Intelligence in Big Data Analytics. In the proceedings of 2013 Intelligent Data Engineering and Automated Learning (IDEAL 2013), Lecture Notes in Computer Science Volume 8206, pp 417-426. Springer.
- Chen, Jianjun, Bai, Ruibin, Qu, Rong and Kendall, Graham, 2013. A Task Based Approach for A Real-World Commodity Routing Problem. In the proceedings of 2013 IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence, April 15-19, 2013, Singapore. Nominated for best paper award.
- Bai, R., J. Li and J. Atkin, G. Kendall,. 2011, A Game Theoretic Approach for the Taxi Scheduling Problem with Street Hailing, The 5rd Multidisciplinary International Conference on Scheduling: Theory and Applications (MISTA 2011), 9-12 August, 2011, Arizona, US.
- Bai, R. and Kendall, G. 2010. "Tabu Assisted Guided Local Search Approaches for Freight Service Network Design". In the CD proceedings of the 8th International Conference on the Practice and Theory of of Automated Timetabling, 10th-13th August, 2010, Belfast, Northern Ireland, pp. 468-471.
- Bai, R., Kendall, G. and Li, J. An Efficient Guided Local Search Approach for Service Network Design Problem with Asset Balancing, 2010 International Conference on Logistics Systems and Intelligent Management (ICLSIM 2010), 9-10 January, 2010, Harbin, China, pp. 110-115.
- Li, J., Kendall, G., Pollard, S., Soane, E., Davies, G. and Bai, R. A Decision Support Approach for Group Decision Making under Risk and Uncertainty, 2010 International Conference on Logistics Systems and Intelligent Management (ICLSIM 2010), 9-10 January, 2010, Harbin, China, pp. 1856-1860.
- Woodward, J.R. and Bai, R., 2009. A Canonical Representation for Genetic Programming, Accepted by World Summit on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation (GEC Summit), June 12 - 14, 2009, Shanghai, China. ACM, pp. 582-592. This paper also won the best paper award (out of 108 full papers).
- Woodward, J.R. and Bai, R.., 2009. Why Evolution Is Not a Good Paradigm For Program Induction; A Critique of Genetic Programming, Accepted by World Summit on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation (GEC Summit), June 12 - 14, 2009, Shanghai, China. ACM, pp. 593-600.
- Bai, R., Burke, E. K., Gendreau M. and Kendall, G. 2007. A Simulated Annealing Hyper-heuristic: Adaptive Heuristic Selection for Different Vehicle Routing Problems. The 3rd Multidisciplinary International Conference on Scheduling: Theory and Applications (MISTA 2007), Paris, France, August 28-31.
- Bai, R., Burke, E. K., Kendall, G. and McCollum, B., 2007. Memory Length in Hyper-heuristics: An Empirical Study. Accepted for publication in the proceeding of 2007 IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Scheduling (CISched2007), 1-5 April, Hilton Hawaiian Village, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, pp.173-178.
- Bai, R., Burke, E. K., Kendall, G. and McCollum, B., 2006. A Simulated Annealing Hyper-heuristic for University Course Timetabling Problem. In the Proceeding of the 6th International Conference on the Practice and Theory of Automated Timetabling, 30 Aug.-1 Sept, Brno, Czech Republic, pp. 345-350.
- Bai, R. and Kendall, G., 2005. An Investigation of Automated Planograms Using a Simulated Annealing Based Hyper-heuristic. In the Proceedings of the 5th Metaheuristics International Conference (MIC 2003), Kyoto, Japan, Aug. 25-28, 2003.
Funded projects / Research grants
- Title: Intelligent Medical Diagnosis Support System. Funder: Ping An Healthcare and Technology Co. Ltd. Ref: PMS20172702，Amount:RMB 1.5m，2018/01 – 2019/01. PI.
- Title: Robust data mining technologies and their application in cold logistics chain big data analytics. Ningbo Science & Technology Bureau, Reference: S016AE005, Amount: RMB 1.2, 2017-2020. PI.
- Title: Freight service network design optimisation and its applications. Funder: Zhejiang Natural Science Foundation, Outstanding Young Scientist (LR17G010001). Amount: RMB 250,000. 2017-01 to 2020-12. PI.
- Title: Logistics Service Network Optimisation and Multi-mode Intelligent Container Transportation Scheduling. Ningbo Science & Technology Bureau, Reference: 2014A35006, 2015-2018, RMB 1.5m (approximately GBP15.6K). PI.
- Title: Scenario Tree Compression for Stochastic Freight Service Network Design. NSFC. Reference: 71471092. 2015-2018. RMB900,000 (RMB300,000 from the university). PI.
- Title: The Mathematical Modeling and Algorithm of Real-time Passenger Flow based Smart Bus Scheduling. Funder: Shenzhen Lan Tai Yuan co. Ltd. Amount: RMB150,000. commercial project, 2016-03 to 2016-08. PI. Completed.
- Title: Energy Efficient Freight Transport Scheduling in Supply Chain Logistics, 2013-2015, Reference: 71311130142. NSFC-UK Royal Society exchange fund. RMB73,000, PI. Completed.
- Title：Optimization of Large Scale Logistics Service Network Design and Fleet Scheduling: Novel Models and Optimization Approaches Based on Hyper-heuristics, NSFC, Ref:71001055, 2011-2013, RMB177,000. PI. Completed.
- Title:From Big Data to New Knowledge: Fundamental Technology Research with an Application to Intelligent Logistics Services Platform Development. Funding Source: Ningbo Science and Technology Bureau. 2012-2015.RMB 1.2m. CI
- Title: Research and Applications of Search with Evolutionary Ruin and Stochastic Rebuild, Funding Source: Ningbo Natural Science Foundation, 2012A610026. RMB30,000. CI.
- Title： Dynamic Scheduling and Hyper-heuristic Approaches for Logistics Service Network Design and Fleet Scheduling, Funding Source: Zhejiang Provincial Natural Science Foundation (ZJNSF) , Reference Y1100132, 2010-2013. RMB100,000, PI, Completed.
- Title： An investigation of the robustness of transportation scheduling for modern logistics, Ningbo Municipal Natural Science Foundation, China, Reference 2008A610013, 2008-2010, RMB50,000. PI, Completed.
- Title： A distributed system for taxi scheduling, Funding Source: Zhejiang Provincial "Qian Jiang" Talent Initiative Programme, China. Reference: QJD0802001, Start Date: 2009-2011, RMB50,000. PI, Completed.
- Title： Handling Uncertainties in Transportation and Logistics. Ningbo Municipal International Collaboration Programme, China. Reference: 2008B10040, 2008-2011, RMB200,000, PI, Completed.