Associate Professor in Dynamics and Control
Mechanical, Materials and Manufacturing Engineering / Faculty of Science and Engineering
Room 436, Sir Peter Mansfield Building
University of Nottingham Ningbo China
199 Taikang East Road, Ningbo, 315100, China
+86 (0) 574 8818 0000 (extension 3141)
- Control and Instrumentation (MMME3040), Module Convenor
- Advanced Dynamics and Vibration (MMME3040), Module Co-convenor
- Dynamics and Control (MMME2014), 2015-2019, Module Contributor
- Statics and Dynamics (MMME1019), Module Convenor
Past teaching experience
- Aeroelasticity: University of Bristol, UK
- Ship Structures: University of Southampton, UK
- Solid Mechanics: University of Southampton, UK
- Fluid Mechanics: University of Southampton, UK
- Engineering Mathematics: University of Southampton, UK
- Ship Control Systems: University of Southampton, UK
- Modelling and Computing: University of Southampton, UK
- Marine Technology Year 9: University of Southampton & The Smallpiece Trust.
Dr Yang’s research interests are in the broad area of nonlinear dynamics and vibration engineering as well as design and analysis of engineering structures. His current research involves the following main research themes:
- Nonlinear dynamics and oscillations
- Passive and active vibration & noise control
- Inerter-based vibration suppression systems
- Vibration and acoustics of advanced composite structures
- Vibration power flow analysis of nonlinear dynamical systems
- Aeroelasticity & Morphing adaptive wing structures
- Structural static / dynamic analysis; Smart structures
- Design and analysis of engineering structures
As Principal Investigator (PI):
- Investigations of power flow characteristics of nonlinear vibration isolation systems, National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) , 2017-2019
- Vibration power flow analysis of fiber-reinforced composite cylindrical shells, Natural Science Foundation of Ningbo Municipality, 2019-2021
- Investigations of power flow analysis of nonlinear dynamical systems, Natural Science Foundation of Ningbo Municipality, 2015-2017
- UNNC Conference Grant, UNNC, 2015, 2016.
- FoSE Small Research Grant, UNNC, 2014 – 2015.
- FoSE Mobility Fund, UNNC, 2016.
As Co-Investigator (Co-I) or team member
- Vibration and sound radiation characteristics of submerged non-circular cylindrical shell structures (National Science Foundation of China) , 2014-2018, Co-Investigator
- On the fabrication of textured optical glass surfaces by servo-vibration-assisted grinding with structured grinding wheels, NSFC, 2019-2021, 290,000RMB (as a Co-I).
- Key technical research on thermal management of gasoline direct-injection engine used vehicle, Key International Cooperative Scheme, Ningbo Science and Technology Bureau, 2015-2018, 300,000RMB (as a Co-I)
- Ningbo 3315 innovation team, Marine Composites Development and Manufacturing for Sustainable Environment, 2016-2020, 5,000,000RMB (as a team member)
- Low Carbon Automobile Thermal Management Frontier Technology Innovation Team, Ningbo Science and Technology Bureau, 2,000,000RMB 2015-2018, (as a Co-I)
- Modelling of adaptive wing structures (MAWS) (European Union FP7 Clean Sky Network), University of Bristol
- Control and Alleviation of Loads in Advanced Regional Turbo-Fan Configurations (CLAReT) (European Union FP7 Clean Sky Network), University of Bristol
- Novel air vehicle configurations: from fluttering wings to morphing flight (NOVEMOR) (EU Framework 7 Project), University of Bristol
- Novel energy flow based dynamic topology optimisations for light-weight marine structures to suppress vibration and noise radiation (University of Southampton EPSRC Shaping Award), University of Southampton
There are fully funded scholarships for PhD study in a fully English environment at The University of Nottingham (Ningbo and UK campuses). Successful graduates will be awarded PhD certificate from University of Nottingham, UK. Interested Applicants in the above research area are welcome to contact Dr Jian Yang at Jian.Yang@nottingham.edu.cn for more information.
- Member, Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS), UK
- Fellow, AdvanceHE, UK
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Member, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- Member, Chinese Society For Vibration Engineering（CSVE）
JCR Q1 Journal papers (as the first or corresponding author)
- Zhuang Dong (PhD student), Dimitrios Chronopoulos, Jian Yang*, Enhancement of wave damping for metamaterial beam structures with embedded inerter-based configurations, Applied Acoustics, 2021, accepted (IF:2.44,JCR Q1)
- Wei Dai (PhD student), Jian Yang*, Vibration transmission and energy flow of impact oscillators with nonlinear motion constraints created by diamond-shaped linkage mechanism, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 2021, 168: 105234. (IF:4.631,JCR Q1)
- Chendi Zhu (PhD student), Jian Yang*, Chris Rudd, Vibration transmission and power flow of laminated composite plates with inerter-based suppression configurations，International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 2021, 190: 106012. (IF:4.631,JCR Q1)
- Wei Dai (PhD student), Jian Yang*, Baiyang Shi, Vibration transmission and power flow in impact oscillators with linear and nonlinear constraints, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 2020, 168: 105234. (IF:4.631,JCR Q1)
- Jian Yang*, J. Z. Jiang, S. Neild, Dynamic analysis and performance evaluation of nonlinear inerter-based vibration isolators, Nonlinear Dynamics, 2020, 99, 1823-1839. (IF:4.867,JCR Q1)
- Baiyang Shi (PhD student), Jian Yang*, Chris Rudd, On vibration transmission in oscillating systems incorporating bilinear stiffness and damping elements, International Journal International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 2019, 150: 458-470. (IF:4.631, JCR Q1)
- Jian Yang*, Baiyang Shi, Chris Rudd, On vibration transmission between Interactive oscillators with nonlinear coupling interface, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 2018, 137:238-251. (IF:4.631,JCR Q1)
- Jian Yang, Y.P. Xiong, J.T. Xing, Vibration power flow and force transmission behaviour of a nonlinear isolator mounted on a nonlinear base, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 2016, 115–116: 238-252. (IF:4.631,JCR Q1)
- Jian Yang, Y.P. Xiong, J.T. Xing, Power flow behaviour and dynamic performance of a nonlinear vibration absorber coupled to a nonlinear oscillator, Nonlinear Dynamics, 2015, 80(3):1063-1079. (IF:4.867,JCR Q1)
- Jian Yang, Y.P. Xiong, J.T. Xing, Nonlinear power flow analysis of the Duffing oscillator, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 2014, 45 (2)：563-578. (IF:6.471,JCR Q1)
- Jian Yang, Y.P. Xiong, J.T. Xing, Dynamics and power flow behaviour of a nonlinear vibration isolation system with a negative stiffness mechanism, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 2013, 332 (1): 167-183. (IF:3.429, JCR Q1)
Other Journal papers
- Jin S., Lin Q., Yang J., Bie Y., Tian M., Li Z., A novel information fusion method for vision perception and location of intelligent industrial robots, Elektronika ir Elektrotechnika, 2019, 25(2), 4-10. (SCI,IF:0.707)
- Shi B., Yang J. *, Quantification of vibration transmission between coupled nonlinear oscillators, International Journal of Dynamics and Control, 2020, 8, 418-435
- Bie Y., Guo X., Song P., Yang J., Li Z., A novel design of flow structure model for online viscosity measurement, Insight: Non-Destructive Testing and Condition Monitoring, 2019, 61(1): 9-14 (SCI,IF:0.80)
- Li T.Y., Wang P., Zhu X., Yang J., Ye W.B., Prediction of far-field sound pressure of a semisubmerged cylindrical shell with low-frequency excitation, Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, Transactions of the ASME, 2017, 139 (4) :041002. (SCI,IF:2.343)
- Yang J., Jiang J.Z., Zhu X., Chen H., Performance of a dual-stage inerter-based vibration isolator, Procedia Engineering, 2017, 199:1822-2827.
- Chen H., Yang J., Xiao X. L., Evaluation of the ductile-to-brittle transition temperature in a thermally sprayed CoNiCrAlY coating by small punch multi-step loading tests, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part L Journal of Materials Design and Applications, 2017, 231(1-2):6-13. (SCI,IF:2.014)
- Zhang G. J., LiY., Zhu X., Yang J., Miao Y.Y., Free and forced vibration characteristics of submerged finite elliptic cylindrical shell, Ocean Engineering, 2017,129:92-106. (SCI,IF:3.068)
- Chen H.S., Li T.Y., Zhu X., Yang J., Analysis of Dispersion Characteristics of an Infinite Cylindrical Shell Submerged in Viscous Fluids Considering Hydrostatic Pressure, Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, Transactions of the ASME, 2015, 137 (021018):1-14. (SCI,IF:2.343)
SCOPUS-indexed Conference papers
- Dai W., Yang J. *, Vibration analysis of a multi-DOF impact oscillator with multiple motion constraints, Second International Nonlinear Dynamics Conference (NODYCON2021), Rome, Italy 2021.
- Zhu C., Shi B., Yang J.*, Vibration analysis of laminated composite cylindrical shells with various fibre orientations, Proceedings of the International Conference on Structural Dynamics, EURODYN, 2020, 1, pp. 551–561
- Shi B., Zhu C., Yang J.*, Vibration power flow transmission between nonlinearly coupled oscillators with dual forces excitations, Proceedings of the International Conference on Structural Dynamics , EURODYN, 2020, 1, pp. 283–302.
- Meng H., Chronopoulos D., Bailey N. Dong Z., Yang J., Experimental investigation of 2d rainbow phononic crystals for broadband vibration attenuation, Proceedings of the International Conference on Structural Dynamics, EURODYN, 2020, 2, pp. 4085–4092
- Dong Z., Yang J., Meng H., Chronopoulos D., Suppression of vibration transmission between oscillators coupled H.with an inerter-based joint, Proceedings of the International Conference on Structural Dynamics, EURODYN, 2020, 1, 1521–1528
- Dai W., Yang J*, Vibration Force Transmissibility of a Rotor-Stator System with Potential Rub-Impact, The 18th Asia-Pacific Vibration Conference (APVC), Sydney, Australia, 2019.
- Zhu C., Yang J.*, Vibration analysis of harmonically excited antisymmetric cross-ply and angle-ply laminated composite plates, The 18th Asia-Pacific Vibration Conference (APVC), Sydney, Australia, 2019.
- Dai W., Yang J. *, Vibration analysis of rotordynamic system with nonlinear bearing supports, 26th International Congress on Sound and Vibration (ICSV26), Montréal, Canada, 2019.
- Shi B., Yang J.*, Force transmissibility and vibration power flow between coupled linear and bilinear oscillators, 26th International Congress on Sound and Vibration (ICSV26), Montréal, Canada, 2019.
- Zhu C., Yang J.*, Free and forced vibration analysis of composite laminated plates, 26th International Congress on Sound and Vibration (ICSV26), Montréal, Canada, 2019.
- Yang J.*, Xiong Y.P., Xing J.T., Vibration energy flow analysis of the Van der Pol oscillator, 25th International Congress on Sound and Vibration (ICSV25), Hiroshima, Japan, July 2018.
- Shi B., Yang J.*, Zhu C., Dong Z., Vibrational energy transfer between nonlinearly coupled oscillators, 25th International Congress on Sound and Vibration (ICSV25), Hiroshima, Japan, July 2018.
- Yang J.*, Jiang J.Z., Zhu X., Chen H., Performance of a dual-stage inerter-based vibration isolator, The 10th International Conference on Structural Dynamics (EURODYN 2017), Rome, Italy, Sep 2017.
- Yang J. *, Force transmissibility and vibration power flow behaviour of inerter-based vibration isolators, 13th International Conference on Motion and Vibration Control (MOVIC 2016) joint with the 12th International Conference on Recent Advances in Structural Dynamics (RASD), Southampton, July 2016.
- Yang J., Sartor P., Cooper J. E., Nangia R, Morphing Wing Design for Conventional and Joined-Wing Aircraft, 56th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, AIAA Science and Technology Forum (SciTech), Kissimmee, January 2015.
- Yang J., Cooper J.E., Nangia R., Optimization Framework for Design of Morphing Wings , 15th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, The AIAA Aviation and Aeronautics Forum and Exposition (AVIATION 2014), Atlanta, Georgia, US, June 2014.
- Yang J., Xiong Y.P., Xing J.T., Power flow behaviour of the Duffing oscillator, Proceedings of the International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering (ISMA 2012), Leuven, Belgium, September 2012, pp.2601-2610.
- Yang J., Xiong Y.P., Xing J.T., Investigations on a nonlinear energy harvesting device consisting of a flapping foil and an electro-magnetic generator using power flow analysis, Proceedings of ASME 23th Biennial Conference on Mechanical Vibration and Noise, Washington DC,USA, August 2011, pp.1-8.
Presentations at conferences/universities/research institutes
- Yang J., Vibration energy flow analysis of smooth and non-smooth nonlinear dynamical systems, International Conference on Engineering vibration (eIcoEV2020), University of Aberdeen, UK
- Yang J., Vibration power flow analysis of typical nonlinear oscillators, The 9th European Nonlinear Oscillations Conference (ENOC9), Budapest, Hungary, June 2016.
- Yang J., Vibration power flow analysis of nonlinear dynamical systems, Department of Mechanical Engineering, National Taiwan University, Taipei, 2016.
- Yang J., J.E. Cooper, R. Nangia, Morphing Wings Designs for Enhancing Performance of Aircraft, Applied Aerodynamics: Advanced Aero Concepts, Design and Operations Conference, Bristol, UK, July 2014.
- Yang J., J.E. Cooper, R. Nangia, Optimisation of Morphing Wings for Improved Environmental Performance, Greener Aviation: Clean Sky breakthroughs and worldwide status, Brussels, Belgium, March 2014.
- Yang J., J.E. Cooper, R. Nangia, MAWS-modelling of adaptive wing structure, ‘Flight Physics of the Future Wing’ - The Airbus Flight Physics Distributed R&T Partnership (DiPaRT), Bristol, UK, November 2013.
- Yang J., Y.P. Xiong, J.T. Xing, Examinations of nonlinear vibration isolators using power flow approach, Proceedings of the 23rd International Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (ICTAM), Beijing, China, August 2012, pp.1-2 .
- Yang J., Uncertainty Analysis in Structural Dynamics, Institute of Statistical Science, Academica Sinica, Taiwan, Taipei, 2015
- Yang J., Recent developments in design of novel adaptive aircraft wing structures, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, 2014
- Yang J., Design and Analysis of High Efficiency Morphing Wings, East Lake International Forum for Outstanding Overseas Young Scholars, Wuhan, China, 2013
- Yang J., Nonlinear energy harvesting using a flapping foil, UK Marine Technology Postgraduate Conference, Southampton, UK, June 2011.
Reviewer for journals
- Nonlinear Dynamics
- Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing
- International Journal of Mechanical Sciences
- Mechanism and Machine Theory
- IEEE Access
- Shock and Vibration
- International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics
- Ocean Engineering
- Royal Aeronautical Journal
- International Journal of Acoustics and Vibration
- Aerospace Science and Technology
- International Journal of Engineering Systems Modelling and Simulation
- International Journal of Acoustics and Vibration