Coronavirus: Update for staff

12 February 2020 | Announcements Staff Coronavirus

This Q&A is to update UNNC staff on our back-to-work plan and to answer some of the questions we have received from staff via

Please find the latest update. For more questions, please email


UNNC Health and Safety Protocols in Teaching Environment

Updated on 28 April

These protocols are directly aligned with the University’s overall Health and Safety Procedures with the focus on the teaching environment. They include:

  • The health and safety protocols for classroom teaching

Prior to class: lecturers are to collect masks from the Faculty Office/ CPSO for both yourself and students, some of whom may arrive in class not wearing a mask.

In class: remind students to observe personal preventive hygiene at the beginning of class as follows:

  • Wear a mask at all time during class (both staff and students)
  • Refrain from touching each other or talking in close proximity
  • Use the hand sanitizers located in the classroom before and after each class
  • If you feel unwell, raise your hand to indicate this to the teaching staff and explain that you are feeling unwell
  • If a person feels unwell during a class

Please read more on Moodle.


UNNC Epidemic Prevention and Control Procedures updated 

Updated on 27 April

An updated version of the UNNC Epidemic Prevention and Control Procedures has been released for our staff and students. The update includes:

  • The requirements on when to wear a mask on campus
  • Public space management (when to switch on the central air conditioning)
  • What if someone has a fever on campus

Please read more on Moodle


Updated on 27 March

Dear colleagues

As many of you will have read in today’s media, the Chinese Government has decided to temporarily suspend the entry into China of foreign nationals holding visas or residence permits. For those of you who were on your way back to China or were making your plans to do so, this is unfortunate news.

For those of you who are still overseas, please do not make any plans to return to China until the Government restriction is lifted; we do not know when this will be. I know that many of you had plans in place to return and some of you had your plans cancelled – I would like to thank you for making such efforts.

The Vice-Provost for Teaching and Learning and the Deans/Head of CELE had already developed contingency plans for the delivery of education under a number of different scenarios. They will now be working with faculty staff in the coming days to create a revised programme for the delivery of education to our students.

I know the situation is not straight forward; however, we have seen time and time again the incredible achievements we are capable of. The speed at which we created and launched online learning has put us in an excellent position to deliver the bulk of our academic programme face to face. We have only achieved this through your dedication and that of our teams across the University. I thank you for such commitment.

Best wishes,

Professor Nick Miles OBE

Provost and Pro-Vice Chancellor


Updated on 25 March

Update to Travel Arrangements for Staff Returning to UNNC

As some of you may have seen reported in the news and on social media, the Chinese Government has made changes to the criteria for self-isolation. The changes we are aware of are provided below.

As you will be aware, the situation is not within the control of UNNC and could change in the coming days and weeks. As soon as we are aware of any change to the situation we will notify staff.

  • Government Designated Hotels. Zhejiang Government has implemented a policy that personnel from all countries and regions outside of China will undertake a 14-day self-isolation in a government designated hotel.
  • Transport from Shanghai Pudong Airport to Ningbo. Shanghai Government will now provide all personnel arriving at Shanghai Pudong airport with centrally arranged bus transport to Ningbo, where Ningbo is their final destination.
  • Beijing Airport. All personnel travelling by air whose final destination is Beijing or have to transit in Beijing, will have their aircraft diverted to one of the following airports: Tianjin, Shijiazhuang, Taiyuan, Huhehaote, Shanghai Pudong, Jinan, Qingdao, Nanjing, Shenyang, Dalian, Zhengzhou or Xi’an. Once arriving at the diverted airport, all personnel are required to undertake a 14-day self-isolation in a government designated hotel.
  • Guangzhou Airport. Personnel transiting in Guangzhou Airport for a subsequent flight to Ningbo or Hangzhou, are able to transit to their connecting flight providing they are not displaying a high temperature.

Financial Support to Staff

Taxi Fares. Given that both the Shanghai Government and Zhejiang Government will now provide mandatory bus transport to Ningbo, UNNC will no longer provide taxis to personnel.

Air Fares. No change to the previous information provided.

Self-Isolation in Government Designated Hotels. No change to the previous information provided.


Updated on 18 March

Update to Travel Arrangements for Staff Returning to UNNC

Arrangement for staff to travel from  Shanghai Pudong Airport to their Home Address. The latest information we have been provided with is that staff who return to Shanghai Pudong from Italy, Iran, South Korea, Japan, France, Germany, Spain, Singapore, USA, UK and Canada will have to travel to Ningbo by bus arranged by the Government. We will arrange for a taxi to collect staff from the drop off point in Ningbo and take them to their final destination. Staff from countries other than those stated above are still able to travel from Shanghai Pudong to Ningbo by taxi, which can be arranged for you by HR via the staff2020 email account. As you will be aware, the situation is not within the control of UNNC and could change in the coming days and weeks. As soon as we are aware of any change to the situation we will notify staff.

Government Designated Hotels. For staff returning from High Risk or Relatively High Risk countries, you will have to undergo enhanced medical observation in a government designated hotel. If the final leg of your flight is to Shanghai Pudong or Shanghai Hongqiao, then the enhanced medical observation may be in a hotel in Shanghai; if the final leg is to Ningbo or Hangzhou, then the enhanced medical observation will be in Ningbo. We advise staff returning from High Risk or Relatively High Risk countries to (where possible) arrange for the final leg of their flights to be to Ningbo or Hangzhou.

Transit in China. For staff members who are transiting from one plane to another in a Chinese airport to facilitate the final leg of the journey to Ningbo or Hangzhou, our current understanding of the regulations is that providing that you are not displaying a high temperature you are able to transit from one plane to another.

Transit in High Risk or Relatively High Risk Countries. For staff members who are transiting from one plane to another in a High Risk or Relatively High Risk country, our current understanding of the regulations is that these members of staff will have to undergo enhanced medical observation in a government designated hotel.

Financial Support to Staff

Taxi Fares. With immediate effect, the University will cover the cost of providing taxis to transport staff from their arrival airport in Shanghai/ Ningbo/ Hangzhou to their final destination. If you have not booked a taxi via HR and made the payment yourself, then this will be refunded to you. For staff who have already returned and incurred costs for taxis, we will publish separate details about how to request a refund.

Air Fares. Given that staff are having to book multiple-leg flights to return to Ningbo, we are aware that the cost of some of these flights is higher than the ‘standard’ cost of the flight. For most individuals some of this excess will be covered by personal travel insurance or refunds from credit card providers; where individuals are out of pocket, the University will refund you the difference.

Self-Isolation in Government Designated Hotels. Any member of staff who has to self-isolate in a government designated hotel and has to pay for accommodation and food will have the cost of the accommodation refunded to them. We will also refund the cost of the meals, including meals you have delivered to the hotel up to the daily value in the UNNC business travel expense claim policy.


Updated on 11 March

Q: Have there been any changes to the requirements to quarantine or self- isolate since the previous update on 9 March?

A: As stated previously, the rules on who has to quarantine or self-isolate changes frequently. The latest advice from government is that personnel returning from countries and regions classed as ‘Relatively High Risk’ (currently France, Germany, Spain, Singapore and USA) may also now have to undergo enhanced medical observation in a government designated hotel for 14 days. We will continue to monitor the situation and keep individuals returning in the next few days appraised of any changes.

Q: The update says a back to work plan has been submitted to the local government. Please can you share the relevant aspects of that plan?

A: All education providers in Ningbo were required to submit their plans for re-opening to Ningbo Education Bureau covering every aspect of living and working on an educational establishment, from disinfecting measures, campus access for returning students and health and safety on campus; the UNNC plan covered all of these areas. The plan is based on being prepared to restart teaching on campus on 30 March.

Q: How do the self-isolation guidelines affect the online teaching provision at UNNC?

A: The self-isolation guidelines are intended for staff to live and work in a safe environment such that they can monitor their personal health conditions to determine whether they are suffering from the effects of Covid-19 before having contact with students or staff. Therefore, there is no impact on the provision of online teaching: staff will be able to deliver online teaching whilst under self-isolation, be that in their own apartment/ accommodation or from within the LA hotel. If staff do require additional support (for example IT support) with preparations for, and the delivery of online teaching, they are able to contact the relevant department.

Q: What kind of disinfecting measures will be put in place on campus?

A: UNNC, like all other educational institutions across Zhejiang Province, follows the local Centre for Disease Control and Prevention requirements, from intensified cleaning services through to thoroughly disinfecting all shared areas and common surfaces. Additional hand sanitising dispensers have been installed across campus.

Q: Is there health and safety protocols for teaching and learning once teaching recommences?

A: The Deans and their staff are currently working on plans to ensure that classrooms and other teaching areas within UNNC are not too densely occupied. Teaching areas will be ventilated at least twice a day for more than 30 minutes each time. A detailed procedure on the frequency of on campus cleaning and disinfection services has been implemented and all disinfection work is recorded.

Q: Will staff be provided with masks and hand sanitisers?

A: UNNC will provide face masks to all staff for as long as regulations require them to be worn. Additional hand sanitizing dispensers have been installed around campus and are topped up regularly.

Q: How often will classrooms be deep cleaned and what will be the deep cleaning process?

A: A detailed procedure for cleaning and disinfection has been in place for several weeks, covering all shared areas and common surfaces. The cleaning frequency and method have been clearly specified.

Classrooms, computer rooms and self-study rooms are to be cleaned and disinfected daily. Some common surfaces such as handles, lifts (including the call buttons) and staircase railings are disinfected 3 times per day.

Q: Do we know when the campus doctor will be back? What medical support will be available to staff?

A: The campus doctor is currently on campus but not available for face-to-face consultation as required by government regulations. The doctor is available for online consultation. Please call 88180120 or 15168185997 (24/7) or e-mail to consult with our doctor. Our doctor will dispense medical advice and prescriptions based upon your complaint and medical history. 

Q: Are the local schools open?

A: The local schools are currently not open. As required by the local education bureau, all schools have already submitted their plans to re-open.

Q: Are Ayi’s/babysitters allowed onto campus and residential communities in Ningbo?

A: For residential compounds outside UNNC: providing the Ayi/babysitter has the Ningbo green health code, they are allowed to enter local residential compounds. We are aware of some residential compounds where this has been a problem so we advise you check with the residential management office to confirm this.

For UNNC: as the University is currently still implementing restricted access controls, Ayis/babysitters are not allowed onto campus. When the University is granted permission to re-open, there will be a process in place to allow them onto campus.

Q: Who should I contact if I encounter any difficulties when I arrive in China?

A: Prior to departing the country you are currently in, a pre-departure call will be arranged by the HR/Faculty rep who has been liaising with you so far. They will provide you with their contact telephone number which you can call if you encounter any difficulties when you arrive. These members of staff will work extended hours from when the first flights land in the morning until the last flights in the evening. If you arrive in China and find yourself in an emergency situation and are unable to speak to the HR/Faculty rep who has been assisting you, then call +86 134 8426 9803.

Q: Is the University able to assist with booking flights from my home country to China?

A: Our Human Resources team have been assisting staff with travel plans for some time and will continue to do so. However, given that many airlines have recently made significant changes to their flight schedules, we understand that this has become more of an issue for staff. The University has arrangements in place with local travel agents to book flights for business purposes. If members of staff are having difficulties identifying flights from their home country to China, they should contact the local travel agents for advice and bookings. The contact details for the travel agents are:

  1. Company: Yida

Contact person: Jerry Chen

WeChat: 13429377401


Work from Monday to Sunday: 08:00-22:00 China Time

  1. Company: Yiqifei

Contact person: Summer Shen or Dora Xu

Email: or     

Work from Monday to Friday: 09:00-17:30 China Time

The staff at both of these companies have limited English so please communicate with them via email or WeChat.


Updated on 9 March

Q: When I return to China, will I have to go into quarantine or have to self- isolate?

A: The information related to staff returning to China from overseas changes frequently, especially given the evolving COVID-19 outbreaks globally. The following is the latest update from the local government in Ningbo:

  1. High Risk Epidemic Countries: Currently South Korea, Japan, Iran and Italy.

Staff traveling to China from these countries will have to undergo enhanced medical observation in a government designated hotel for 14 days. The hotel could be in Ningbo or at the point of arrival in China, subject to the individual’s medical assessment on arrival.

  1. Relatively-High Risk Epidemic Countries: Currently France, Germany, Spain, Singapore and USA

Staff traveling to China from these countries will have to undergo enhanced medical observation in their own home/apartment for 14 days, either on or off campus. UNNC will provide assistance and support to staff in these circumstances including with the delivery of meals and necessities to their door, and helping with communicating with the residence compound. If staff wish, they can self-isolate in the LA Hotel on campus.

  1. Medium Risk Epidemic Countries and Regions: Currently Kuwait, Bahrain, UK, Australia, Switzerland, Malaysia, Norway, Canada, Iraq, UAE, Vietnam, Austria, Sweden, Thailand, Hong Kong and Taiwan

Staff traveling to China from these countries/regions will have to undergo enhanced medical observation in their own home/apartment for 14 days, either on or off campus. UNNC will provide assistance and support to staff in these circumstances including with the delivery of meals and necessities to their door, and helping with communicating with the residence compound. If staff wish, they can self-isolate in the LA Hotel on campus.

  1. Low Risk: Currently all other countries not listed above

Countries other than those stated above are regarded as low risk countries. Staff from low risk countries are required to strengthen the daily monitoring of their health. If they live on campus, the university shall be responsible for daily temperature monitoring. If they live off campus, the university shall work closely with the residence compound where the member of staff lives to share the relevant information on a timely basis.

Support to Staff pre-departure and on arrival in China. HR and Faculty Offices will remain in close contact with staff 3 days prior to their date of departure to issue them with the latest information. Prior to staff travelling to China, a pre-departure call will be arranged for final confirmation of the situation and staff will be provided with a telephone number to call when they arrive at their point of arrival to assist with any problems encountered.

Enhanced medical observation. This refers to individuals having their temperature taken several times a day to determine whether they are displaying the symptoms of a fever. During this period, staff will have to remain in their home/apartment.

Coming into contact with suspected COVID-19 cases. In the event that a member of staff comes into contact with someone who has the virus, they may be required to self-isolate. In such cases, staff are able to use the LA Hotel if they feel that is more appropriate than home.

Communities outside UNNC. Some communities outside UNNC may be applying stricter rules than those published by the Government. Any member of staff who would prefer to stay in the LA Hotel during the period of enhanced medical observation are able to do so.


Updated on 6 March

Q: How safe is Ningbo?
A: As at 6th March, Ningbo recorded its fourteenth day without any new confirmed COVID-19 cases. To date 157 people have tested positive for COVID-19 in Ningbo, of which 155 have recovered and been discharged from hospital. On 3rd March the Municipal Health Commission confirmed that the risk of infection for the whole Ningbo municipality had been adjusted to low. In Zhejiang Province, there have been 11 days with no new infections except for ten people who returned from Italy, eight in the Qing Tian county of Lishui and two in Huzhou.

Q: Will the University restart face-to-face teaching at the end of March?
A: There have been, and continue to be, regular conversations between UNNC and the local authorities, including the education bureau on when our students can return and we can restart face-to-face teaching. The exact date of face-to-face teaching has yet to be determined by the local authorities; however, our planning assumption is for this to begin at the end of March.

Q: Will I be allowed to work from my office?
A: When overseas staff return to Ningbo they are required to create a health code on their mobile phone, with which HR will assist you. Once the health code is generated, staff are able to access campus and work from their office. For people who live off campus, local authorities require us to issue them with a ‘pass’ to enter campus. Providing you have a green health code, the access to campus will be provided.

Q: Can I see my friends if they live in a different apartment block on or off campus?
A: For staff who live off campus, they can interact freely with friends from other accommodation blocks. For staff who live on campus, they can interact freely with friends and colleagues from other accommodation blocks located on campus. At the moment we are required to restrict visitors to the campus so it is not possible to meet on campus with friends who live externally. Similar restrictions may apply if you want to visit apartment blocks elsewhere in Ningbo.

Q: Has there been any change to the policy on working in large shared offices?
A: Current office working arrangements are the same as those prior to the COVID-19 outbreak.

Q: Will UNNC assist in arranging transportation back to UNNC from airports?
A: If you require it, UNNC are able to assist staff with arranging transportation back to UNNC or your residence compound. You may contact to raise your individual enquiry and our HR colleagues can provide you with further advice and information on the procedure.


Updated on 21 Feb

Update: Ningbo has no new confirmed case on 19 Feb and one on 20 Feb.

Q: I am currently outside China. If I fly into China, will I be quarantined?
A: According to the latest notice from Ningbo Leading Group of the COVID-19 Epidemic Prevention and Control, if international staff pass the virus check at the custom when entering the country, Ningbo city will not impose any further quarantine if they travel directly back to Ningbo.

Q: I have arrived in Ningbo. I have heard everyone in Ningbo should register a health code. What is a health code? How do I get it?
A: It's a self reporting system that asks users to update their health information in the app. This code system registration is only for people who are currently in Ningbo. Please click and find the English guide on how to register for a code.

Our HR Office are available to support you, as required, in obtaining your personal Health Code as part of your return to campus process during the coming weeks.


Updated on 14 Feb

Ningbo has no new confirmed cases on 13 and 14 Feb.

Regarding the UNNC clinic

Q: Why has the UNNC clinic stopped providing face-to-face consultations?
A: This is to comply with government regulations on avoiding cross infection. There have been reports that people with asymptomatic infections attended clinics and infected medical staff, who in turn transmitted the virus to clusters of other people.

Q: What can I do if I have medical symptoms other than a fever, cough or breathing difficulties?
A: Please call 88180120 or 15168185997 (24/7) or e-mail the UNNC clinic ( to consult with our doctor. Our doctor will dispense medical advice and prescriptions based upon your complaint and medical history.

Q: What if I have a fever, cough or breathing difficulties?
A: In response to the Coronavirus outbreak, all clinics - including the UNNC Clinic - were recently forbidden to treat patients with a fever, cough or respiratory symptoms. However, please call the UNNC Clinic (numbers above) if you have such symptoms. Our medical staff will assist with calling an ambulance that will take you to a specialised clinic.

Q: What if I need OTC (Over-The-Counter), prescription drugs or face masks?
A: All clinics are forbidden to sell painkillers (such as Ibuprofen and Paracetamol) and cough syrups during this time. Should you need other kinds of medication, please email your order to UNNC Clinic specifying dosage, generic name, quantities and brand. Our medical staff will advise on the next step.

UNNC will provide free masks for all staff (including family members) and students living on campus until the end of February. This also applies to staff that come to campus on a daily basis to work. Please see the separate notice Free masks for UNNC staff and students on campus posted today.


Updated on 12 Feb

Q: If the flexibility of working off-campus is called-off, how long will the notice period (between announcement and application) be?

A: It will be a minimum of two weeks subject to the prevailing government quarantine regulations.

Q: What exactly is defined as ‘home leave’ in the flexible working guidance?

A: The home leave definition is consistent with the terms in UNNC regulations on leave.

Home leave 

In each year of international service (except in the year of repatriation), full time staff on international and local plus pay scales (and any agreed accompanying family) will be provided with or could be reimbursed for return flight(s) or train/bus tickets to their home country/province for the purposes of home leave or family visit. All flights must be booked via online airline booking system (, which will be processed by HR Office. No assistance is given towards travel to any other destination and tickets may not be traded for any other purpose.  

Please refer to HR SharePoint regarding Annual Home Leave Ticket Booking Guidelines, Transportation Policy, and UNNC Leave Policy in addition to your contract for more detailed information about transportation reimbursement and ticket booking.  

Q: Regarding the final point in the flexible working guidance about being ‘unable to work their normal hours effectively’, how would this be determined exactly? 

A: This should be discussed with your line manager. The principle is to ensure working efficiency and effectiveness.

Q: Will the communications updates every other day continue?

A: Following feedback regular update communications will be issued on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays

Q: On leaving UNNC, for the Spring Festival, I fully expected to return to UNNC for the start of semester 2 and hence didn’t carry my laptop with me. I am now working remotely. Will UNNC reimburse the cost of me purchasing a laptop so that I can undertake my work?

A: UNNC will reimburse the cost, up to 4,000 RMB, of purchasing a laptop in the above circumstances. The laptop should be handed in to IT Services upon your return to UNNC.

Q: Will my salary continue to be paid?  

A: Yes


Updated on 9 Feb

Q: Is there anything we can do individually to help the people in Wuhan? Is there a way of donating money for medical supplies, sending messages of support or anything else that we can do?

A: Our student society Young Volunteering Association has raised more than 200,000 RMB to support initiatives in Wuhan.Many of our alumni have raised money and purchased medical supplies from abroad for Hubei Province. Currently our staff and students in the UK are fundraising to support No 1 Hospital in Ningbo - you can donate via

Q: Does the Flexible Working Guidance for Academic Staff apply to CELE staff?

A: The guidance covers all staff with the exception of our professional and administrative staff group.

Q: Will the housing allowance be cut if I cannot get back to Ningbo during the present epidemic?

A: The housing allowance will continue to be paid for those entitled to it whether onsite, in Ningbo or working flexibly offsite. However, individuals are responsible for additional personal living costs such as rent if they choose to work outside Ningbo and are given permission to do so. 


Updated on 7 Feb

Returning to Ningbo and UNNC

Q: I am currently outside China. Since government advises not to travel, can I work remotely and carry on online teaching when the new semester starts?

A: Yes, we have just released a guide to flexible working for UNNC academic staff on Sharepoint.(If you have difficulty opening the sharepoint document, please find the sharepoint link in your email and open it with your browser). Please also contact your line manager and be prepared to deliver online teaching as a contingency plan.

Q: Will we resume face to face teaching on 2 March?

A: Teaching will start on 2 March either on campus or online as contingency plans are being made to switch to online teaching. If we are teaching on campus, we will provide online teaching support for students unable to attend in person. We don't know if we can resume face to face teaching on 2 March. We are closely monitoring the situation and the health and safety of our staff and students remains our overriding priority. We will also comply with the requirements from the Chinese authorities regarding teaching on campus.

Q: Does the Chinese government have clear guidance on when to start the semester?

Zhejiang Education Department has required all schools and higher education institutions in the Province not to start the new semester before the end of February.

Q: Can Staff return to Ningbo?

A: Ningbo City has no constraints any people outside Ningbo from coming to Ningbo. As long as you are needed for work, staff can come to work in Ningbo.

Once the expats have settled into their residency, they must report to the community social workers and employers immediately according to the current domestic management requirements.

Expats/foreigners coming to Ningbo without any exposure in affected areas, after having their temperature checked by the community social workers, shall not be isolated for medical observation.

Organizations (eg, UNNC) with expats are responsible for employees’ disease control according to the latest requirements, as per – “Guidelines of epidemic prevention for enterprise return to work”)

Q: Will UNNC assist in arranging transportation back to UNNC?

A: UNNC will make best efforts to assist our staff in arranging transportation back to UNNC within our capacity under government regulations. You may contact to raise your individual enquiry and our HR colleagues can provide you with further advice.

Q: Will UNNC reimburse costs incurred associated with returning to UNNC?

A: UNNC will reimburse reasonable costs in excess of those expected/incurred when original return travel plans to UNNC were made.


Health and safety

Q: Should I submit to temperature checks where I live or elsewhere?

A: Temperature checks are being implemented in many locations across China, including residential compounds and workplaces, sometimes with no warning. Anyone whose temperature is above what is considered normal (37.3 degrees Celsius/99.14 degrees Fahrenheit) may be reported to the China Centres for Disease Control and Prevention and referred to a state-run fever clinic.

Q: If I fail a temperature check will I be forcibly quarantined; if this happens what support is available?

A: If your temperature is identified as being above the threshold for potential fever you are likely to be referred to a Chinese fever clinic. If this happens to you, please notify UNNC via:


Telephone: 0574-88180120

Q: I or someone close to me is showing symptoms. What should I/they do?

A: In a medical emergency, or if someone is displaying severe symptoms such as breathing difficulties, call 120 and ask for an ambulance. This number can connect to an English-speaking service. If you or a family member are feeling unwell, particularly with symptoms associated with novel coronavirus such as fever or dry cough, immediately contact UNNC clinic via 0574-88180120 and get advice for going to the nearest designated medical facility.

Q: Does MSH Health Insurance cover the cost of treating the health conditions caused by Corona Virus?

A: Yes

Q: What are the current recommendations regarding self-quarantine?

A: Self-quarantine means limiting non-essential personal movement outside your home (getting groceries or medical supplies, or seeking necessary medical treatment) and personal contact with others beyond people you live with. If you or someone close to you has been in direct contact with an infected person or someone with flu-like symptoms, or has returned from any province, should exercise caution and self-quarantine at home for 14 days. If you are returning from Hong Kong, Macao or Taiwan, you should self-quarantine for 7 days.


Leaving China

Q: I want to leave China. Can you give me some advice?

A: The situation is changing rapidly and it is the responsibility of those wishing to self-evacuate to ensure they have made appropriate arrangements with airlines. Check reservations on a regular basis and plan for unanticipated delays at airports/in transit. Those with travel insurance should verify coverage regarding emergency situations prior to travel.

Q: Does UNNC staff travel insurance cover the cost of leaving China due to the Coronavirus?

A: No, however if evacuation is mandated any costs incurred, as part of this process, by staff members and dependents, will be reimbursed by UNNC.   

Q: If I self-evacuate, will I be placed in quarantine on arrival in my destination country?

A: This is dependent on individual countries’ regulations and practice.

In the UK the answer is currently “No you won’t be quarantined”. People arriving from Wuhan and Hubei Province to the UK in the last 14 days should stay indoors and avoid contact with other people as you would with the flu, and call NHS 111 to inform them of your recent travel to the area. This applies even if you do not have symptoms of the virus.

The UK is not taking special measures regarding arrivals of any nationality from China beyond standard entry procedures. However, if you believe you may have been exposed to coronavirus or been in contact with another person exhibiting flu-like symptoms, you may wish to take precautions and self-quarantine for a minimum 7 days, also informing anyone you might be living with of your concerns.

Q: I wish to self-evacuate from China but I/a loved one does not have a passport/visa. Can I still leave the country?

A: Individuals who currently lack essential documentation should contact the relevant Country’s Consular Services and make officials aware of your situation.

Q: I am renewing my Chinese visa/residency permit. How can I retrieve my passport from the PSB in order to evacuate?

A: China’s visas and immigration services resumed normal operations from Monday 3rd February and the latest information is that processing will continue even if normal working hours are affected by crisis control measures. Please note that processing times may be affected.

Q: I’m a Non-Chinese national outside China and wish to return to China. Can I?

A: Current UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office guidance is to avoid all non-essential travel to China, and all travel to Wuhan and Hubei Province, until further notice. There is no official definition of ‘non-essential travel’, it is up to the individual to make their own decisions based on currently available information.

Most nations will have similar/equivalent advice for their nationals – staff should follow the advice appropriate to their nationality.


Living in Ningbo

Q: Are masks available to buy in Ningbo?

A: They are currently in short supply, so returning staff should attempt to purchase masks prior to retuning. Registration for accessing masks has now begun in residential communities in Ningbo however numbers are rationed to 3-5 masks per individual. In case you do not have masks, you can email your request to and clinic staff will respond to your enquiry by providing guidance of where to get masks.

Q: Are food shops and supermarkets open and accessible in Ningbo?

A: Yes, many local stores are open like Vanguard, Metro and Walmart. 

Q: Can I leave my residential community to travel to work at UNNC?

A: There are restrictions. You need to obtain approval from your head of department two days in advance so that UNNC Provost Office can issue an official document for you to travel to work. Please also take your Staff ID Card and your identity document (Chinese ID Card or Passport) which will be required to show to the security guard.

Q: What road travel restrictions are there relating to entering and exiting Ningbo?

A: The situation is changing on daily basis. As confirmed with the Ningbo Public Security Bureau on 6 Feb 2020, there is no restrictions for exiting Ningbo, while for external private vehicles to enter Ningbo, the Police will have a thorough check against each passenger before they release the entry permit.

Q: As a Building 23/28 resident how do I communicate with LAC and are all normally available services being maintained?

A: Staff and students on campus can send mails to LAC has delegated an English speaking staff member to respond emails timely. The telephone number is 88180809.