An international university in China
The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) was the first Sino-foreign university to open its doors in China. Established in 2004, with the full approval of the Chinese Ministry of Education, we are run by The University of Nottingham with co-operation from Zhejiang Wanli Education Group, a key player in the education sector in China.
Fast facts about the University
- The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) was the first Sino-foreign university to open its doors in China in 2004.
- At UNNC we have more than 7,800 students and around 750 are international students
- We have more than 750 members of staff, split across academic and professional services.
- Our staff and students come from more than 70 countries and regions around the world.
- The University is situated in a 144 acre (584,666m²) campus in Ningbo, Zhejiang province.
- We have three faculties: Business, Science and Engineering, Humanities and Social Sciences.
- We offer 30 undergraduate courses and 19 postgraduate courses.
- The University has 14 research centres and institutes.
- We were awarded a licence to grant PhDs in December 2008 and have around 300 PhD students.
- We have China’s first carbon-neutral building, home to our Centre for Sustainable Energy Technologies (CSET).
Figures accurate for 2017 - 18 academic year.
2016 has been a year of transition with many exciting initiatives and achievements. It makes a good start towards our mission for 2020 and places UNNC in a stronger position for the future
- Professor Chris Rudd
The University of Nottingham Ningbo Annual Report 2016 is now available. This report summarised and highlighted the key progresses and achievements of the University in the past academic year. It shared some of the most prominent accomplishments and joyful moments of the University in its starting year of implementing the Strategy 2020. Four important areas of development covered in the report are:
- Teaching & Learning
- Research & Discipline Building
- Reforms & Restructure
- Social Responsibility & Community Engagement
Click to download the 2016 report
We have more than 7,800 students and, each year, around 1,500 graduates with excellent academic qualifications, transferable skills, a creative outlook and a fresh perspective. They are in demand from employers around the globe who recognise the benefits of hiring talent with an international perspective.
Our internationalisation policy means that our students can study at The University of Nottingham in the UK or to go as exchange or study abroad students to other universities around the world.
International students come from more than 70 countries around the world and Chinese undergraduate students are selected from most provinces on the basis of their college entrance examinations.
Competition for entry is stiff and students are required to have a minimum level of English to be accepted onto our degree programmes. We are familiar with a range of overseas school-leaving qualifications. For further information about the qualifications needed to study here email our admissions team.
We have more than 750 teaching, research and professional services staff at UNNC, recruited from top universities, research institutes and companies from at least 40 countries worldwide.
All of the teaching on campus is carried out in English by staff either seconded from Nottingham or appointed to The University of Nottingham’s standards.