After completion of his PhD study, Dr Jun He worked as a research fellow in Singapore-Delft Water Alliance from 2009 to 2010, and then he moved to industry to work in Siemens Global Water R & D Centre as a technology scientist during 2010-2011. In Oct 2011, he took up the lectureship in University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) and then got promoted to Associate Professor in Aug 2014.
Dr He’s research interests mainly lie in environmental chemistry and technology including air quality & pollution control, water quality & physic-chemical water treatment process, soil contamination and remediation, solid waste management & conversion, and urban climate change & sustainability. Since joining UNNC in 2011 till Nov 2017, he has led or assisted to successfully secure external research grants worth of around 6 million RMB awarded by a variety of research councils. His detailed research outputs can be found in E-3468-2014 and Dr. Jun He Google Scholar Database.
Honours and Distinctions
2017/10, Zhejiang Provincial Young Academic Leader, awarded by Zhejiang Provincial Department of Education
2012/09, Chancellor Award for Teaching Excellence, awarded by Teaching and Learning Board in University of Nottingham
2012/04, Ningbo Municipal Leading and Top Talent, awarded by Ningbo Municipal Bureau of Human Resources
2010/07, WFF PhD Prize in Environmental and Sustainability Research, awarded by World Future Foundation and National University of Singapore
Currently supervising 6 PhD students.
Modules being taught:
Analytical Measurement (Level 2)
Environmental Field Course (Level 2)
Air Pollution (Level 3)
Research Grant (as PI)
- 2017/01-2019/12, Ningbo municipal innovation team project on indoor air pollution control technology, funded by Ningbo Science and Technology Bureau. Principal Investigator, RMB 1,000, 000.
- 2016/07-2018/06, Haze particle physicochemical properties in the Yangtze River Delta, funded by Zhejiang Provincial Meteorological Science. Principal Investigator, RMB 70,000.
- 2015/11-2017/10, Development of catalysts for formaldehyde removal in indoor environment, funded by Nanhai Shangying Chemical Co. Ltd. Principal Investigator, RMB 200,000.
- 2015/08-2017/07, Characteristics and source apportionment of urban haze in Hangzhou-Ningbo Region, funded by Zhejiang Provincial Department of Science and Technology. Principal Investigator, RMB 150,000.
- 2014/07-2016/06, Characteristics and source analysis of haze fine aerosols in Hangzhou and Ningbo, funded by Zhejiang Provincial Meteorological Science. Principal Investigator, RMB 90,000.
- 2014/06-2016/05, Development of simultaneous measurement technique of organic aerosols from various sources in PM2.5 and its application, funded by Ningbo Bureau of Science and Technology. Principal Investigator, RMB 30,000.
- 2014/01-2016/12, New analytical method for one-step simultaneous measurement of multiple organic aerosol tracers, funded by Chinese National Natural Science Foundation. Principal Investigator, RMB 250,000.
- 2014/01-2015/12, The development of analytical method for biomass burning tracers by HPLC-MS-MS, funded by Jiangsu Provincial Key Laboratory of Atmospheric Environment Monitoring and Pollution Control (AEMPC). Principal Investigator, RMB 40,000
- 2013/01-2014/12, Portable online particulate exposure monitoring instrument development, funded by Jiangsu Provincial Key Laboratory of Atmospheric Environment Monitoring and Pollution Control (AEMPC). Principal Investigator, RMB 40,000
- 2012/07-2015/06, Development of microwave irradiation enhanced process for coal flue gas treatment. Sub-project of Zhejiang Provincial Innovation Team on De-SOx and De-NOx Technology Development and Industrialization, funded by Zhejiang Provincial Department of Science and Technology. Principal Investigator, RMB 150,000
- 2012/06-2015/12, Physical and chemical characterization of inhalable aerosols (PM2.5) for Eastern China, funded by Zhejiang Provincial Meteorological Science Institute. Principal Investigator, RMB 39,000.
Refereed International Journal Publication
1) Weifeng Wang, Jie Yu, Yang Cui, Jun He, Peng Xue, Wan Cao, Hongmei Ying, Wenkang Gao, Yingchao Yan, Bo Hu, Jinyuan Xin, Lili Wang, Zirui Liu, Yang Sun, Dongsheng Ji, Yuesi Wang. Characteristics of fine particulate matter and its sources in an industrialized coastal city, Ningbo, Yangtze River Delta, China. ATMOSPHERIC RESEARCH, 2018.
2) Collins I. Ezeh, Xiaogang Yang, Jun He, Colin Snape, Xiaomin Chen. Correlating ultrasonic impulse andaddition of ZnO promoters with CO2 conversion and methanol selectivity of CuO/ZrO2 catalysts. ULTRASONICS-SONOCHEMISTRY, 2018.
3) Shuihong Pan, Jun He, Chengjun Wang, Yuegang Zuo. Exfoliation of two-dimensional phosphorene sheets with enhanced photocatalytic activity under simulated sunlight. MATERIALS LETTERS, 2018, 212: 311-314.
4) Collins I. Ezeh, Marco Tomatis, Xiaogang Yang, Jun He, Chenggong Sun. Ultrasonic and hydrothermal mediated synthesis routes for functionalized Mg-Al LDH: Comparison study on surface morphology, basic site strength, cyclic sorption efficiency and effectiveness. ULTRASONICS-SONOCHEMISTRY, 2018, 40: 341-352.
5) Lidong Chen, Shuihong Pan, Chuyuan Ding, Jun He, Chengjun Wang. Dispersive solid-phase microextraction with graphene oxide based molecularly imprinted polymers for determining bis (2-ethylhexyl) phthalate in environmental water. JOURNAL OF CHRMOATOGRAPHY A, 2017, 1511: 85-91.
6) Wenchao Shen, Lili Ren, Yi Zhao, Luyu Zhou, Liang Dai, Xinlei Ge, Shaofei Kong, Qin Yan, Honghui Xu, Yujun Jiang, Jun He, Mindong Chen, Huan Yu. C1-C2 aminiums in urban aerosols: Insights from ambient and fuel combustion emission measurements in the Yangtze River Delta region of China. ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION, 2017, 230: 12-21.
7) Abubakar Yusuf, Colin Snape, Jun He, Honghui Xu, Chaojie Liu, Ming Zhao, George Zheng Chen, Bencan Tang, Chengjun Wang, Jiawei Wang, Sailesh N. Behera. Advances on transition metal oxides catalysts for formaldehyde oxidation: A review. CATALYSIS REVIEWS, 2017, 1-45.
8) Jing-Sha Xu, Meng-Xia Xu, Colin Snape, Jun He, Sailesh N. Behera, Hong-Hui Xu, Dong-Sheng Ji, Cheng-Jun Wang, Huan Yu, Hang Xiao, Yu-Jun Jiang, Bing Qi, Rong-Guang Du. Temporal and spatial variation in major ion chemistry and source identification of secondary inorganic aerosols in Northern Zhejiang Province, China. CHEMOSPHERE, 2017, 179: 316-330.
9) Lawrence Lau, Jun He. Investigation into the effect of atmospheric particulate matter (PM2.5 and PM10) concentrations on GPS signals. SENSORS. 2017, 17(3), 508.
10) Jing-Sha Xu, Hong-Hui Xu, Hang Xiao, Lei Tong, Colin Snape, Cheng-Jun Wang, Jun He #. Aerosol composition and sources during high and low pollution periods in Ningbo, China. ATMOSPHERIC RESEARCH. 2016, 178-179: 559-569.
11) Hong-Hui Xu, Jing-Jiao Pu, Jun He, Jie Liu, Bing Qi, Rong-Guang Du. Characteristics of Atmospheric Compositions in the Background Area of Yangtze River Delta during Heavy Air Pollution Episode. ADVANCES IN METEOROLOGY. 2016, 2016: 1-13, Article ID 7240486.
12) Marco Tomatis, Honghui Xu, Jun He, Xiaodong Zhang. Recent development of catalysts for removal of volatile organic compounds in flue gas by combustion: a review. JOURNAL OF CHEMISTRY. 2016, article ID 8324826.
13) Dongsheng Ji, Junke Zhang, Jun He, Xiaoju Wang, Bo Pang, Zirui Liu, Lili Wang, Yuesi Wang. Characteristics of atmospheric organic and elemental carbon aerosols in urban Beijing, China. ATMOSPHERIC ENVIRONMENT. 2016, 125: 293-306.
14) Jingsha Xu, Xuhong Tai, Raghu Betha, Jun He, Rajasekhar Balasubramanian. Comparison of physical and chemical properties of ambient aerosols during the 2009 haze and non-haze periods in Southeast Asia. ENVIRONMENTAL GEOCHEMISTRY AND HEALTH.2015, 37: 831-841.
15) Haitao Zhao, Xiang Luo, Jun He, Chuang Peng, Tao Wu. Recovery of elemental sulphur via selective catalytic reduction of SO2 over sulfide CoMo/γ-Al2O3 catalysts. FUEL, 2015, 147:67-75.
16) Jianfa Gao, Jake O’Brien, Foon Yin Lai, Alexander L.N. van Nuijs, Jun He, Jochen F. Mueller, Jingsha Xu, Phong K. Thai. Could wastewater analysis be a useful tool for China?-A review. JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES. 2015, 27: 70-79.
17) Jingjiao Pu, Honghui Xu, Jun He, Shuangxi Fang, Lingxi Zhou. Estimation of regional background concentration of CO2 at Lin’an station in Yangtze River Delta, China. ATMOSPHERIC ENVIRONMENT. 2014,94:402-408.
18) Jun He, Honghui Xu, Rajasekhar Balasubramanian, Chuen Yu Chan, Chengjun Wang. Comparison of NO2 and SO2 measurements using different passive samplers in tropical environment. AEROSOL AND AIR QUALITY RESEARCH, 2014, 14:355-363.
19) Guenter Engling, Jun He, Betha Raghu, Rajasekhar Balasubramanian. Assessing the regional impact of Indonesian biomass burning emissions based on organic molecular tracers and chemical mass balance modeling. ATMOSPHERIC CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS. 2014, 14: 8043-8054.
20) Hangcui Zhu, Wanxin Chen, Zhiling Li, Jun He, Xuejiao Tang, Chengjun Wang. Extraction of natural estrogens in environmental waters by dispersive multiwalled carbon nanotube-based agitation-assisted adsorption and ultrasound-assisted desorption. ANALYTICAL METHODS. 2014, 6:1235-1241.
21) Zhisheng Zhang, Guenter Engling, Chuen Yu Chan, Yihong Yang, Mang Lin, Si Shi, Jun He, Yide Li, Xuemei Wang. Determination of isoprene-derived secondary organic aerosol tracers (2-methyltetrols) by HPAEC-PAD: results from size-resolved aerosols in a tropical rainforest. ATMOSPHERIC ENVIRONMENT, 2013, 70:468-476.
22) Haitao Zhao, Tao Wu, Jun He, Sam Kingman, Kaiqi Shi, Di Shen, Yiyun Zhang. Simultaneous Removal of SOx and NOx in Flue Gas at Power Stations over a Cu/Na-13X Zeolite Catalyst. ADVANCED MATERIALS RESEARCH, 2013, 650 : 125-129
23) Jun He, Rajasekhar Balasubramanian. Passive sampling of gaseous persistent organic pollutants in the atmosphere. ENERGY PROCEDIA. 2012, 16, 494-500
24) Jun He, Rajasekhar Balasubramanian, David F. Burger, Kevin Hicks, Johan C.I. Kuylenstierna, Sundarambal Palani. Dry and wet atmospheric deposition of nitrogen and phosphorus in Singapore. ATMOSPHERIC ENVIRONMENT, 2011, 45(16): 2760-2768.
25) Jun He, Rajasekhar Balasubramanian. A comparative evaluation of passive and active samplers for measurements of gaseous semi-volatile organic compounds in the tropical atmosphere. ATMOSPHERIC ENVIRONMENT, 2010, 44 (7), 884-891.
26) Jun He, Rajasekhar Balasubramanian. Semi-volatile organic compounds (SVOCs) in ambient air and rainwater in a tropical environment: Concentrations and temporal and seasonal trends. CHEMOSPHERE, 2010, 78(6), 742-751.
27) Jun He, Rajasekhar Balasubramanian. The exchange of SVOCs across the air-sea interface in Singapore’s coastal environment. ATMOSPHERIC CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS, 2010, 10(4), 1837-1852.
28) Palani Sundarambal, Rajasekhar Balasubramanian, R., Pavel Tkalich, Jun He. Impact of biomass burning on ocean water quality in Southeast Asia through atmospheric deposition: field observations. ATMOSPHERIC CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS, 2010, 10(23): 11323-11336.
29) Jun He, Barbara Zielinska, Rajasekhar Balasubramanian. Composition of semi-volatile organic compounds in the urban atmosphere of Singapore: Influence of Biomass Burning. ATMOSPHERIC CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS, 2010, 10(23): 11401-11413.
30) Jun He, Rajasekhar Balasubramanian. A study of gas/particle partitioning of SVOCs in the tropical atmosphere of Southeast Asia. ATMOSPHERIC ENVIRONMENT, 2009, 43(29), 4375-4383.
31) Sathrugnan Karthikeyan, Rajasekhar Balasubramanian, Jun He. Inter-laboratory study to improve the quality of the analysis of nutrients in rainwater chemistry. ATMOSPHERIC ENVIRONMENT, 2009, 43(21), 3424-3430.
32) Jun He, Rajasekhar Balasubramanian. A study of precipitation scavenging of semivolatile organic compounds in a tropical area. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH, 2009, 114, D12201.
33) Jun He, Rajasekhar Balasubramanian, Sathrugnan Karthikeyan, Umid Man Joshi. Determination of semi-volatile organochlorine compounds in the atmosphere of Singapore using accelerated solvent extraction. CHEMOSPHERE, 2009, 75(5), 640-648.
34) Sathrugnan Karthikeyan, Jun He, Palani Sundarambal, Rajasekhar Balasubramanian, David Burger. Determination of total nitrogen in atmospheric wet and dry deposition samples. TALANTA, 2009, 77, 979-984.
35) Sathrugnan Karthikeyan, Jun He, Umid Man Joshi, Rajasekhar Balasubramanian. Determination of total nitrogen in environmental samples: validation by comparison of techniques and intralaboratory studies. ANALYTICAL LETTERS, 2009, 42 (7):948-957.
36) Jun He, Rajasekhar Balasubramanian. Determination of atmospheric polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons using accelerated solvent extraction. ANALYTICAL LETTERS, 2009, 42(11), 1603-1619.
37) Jun He, Rajasekhar Balasubramanian. Rain-aerosol coupling in the tropical atmosphere of Southeast Asia: distribution and scavenging ratios of major ionic species. JOURNAL OF ATMOSPHERIC CHEMISTRY, 2008, 60(3), 205-220.
Referred Chinese Journal Paper Indexed in China National Knowledge Infrastructure (CNKI)
38) Honghui Xu, Jingsha Xu, Jun He, Yujun Jiang, Jingjiao Pu. Rapid determination of fungal aerosol tracers using high performance liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry. ENVIRONMENTAL CHEMISTRY. (In press). 高效液相色谱-三重四级杆质谱法快速测定真菌气溶胶示踪物. 环境化学. (已接收)
39) Manting Wang, Bin Zhu, Honglei Wang, Guoqiang Xue, Jun He, Honghui Xu, Jinfei Cao. Composition and Regional Characteristics of Atmosphere Aerosol and Its Water Soluble Ions over the Yangtze River Delta Region in a Winter Haze Period. ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE, 2015, 36(7): 2337-2345.
40) Rongguang Du, Bin Qi, Honghui Xu, Jun He. Pollution characteristics of PM2.5 carbonaceous aerosols in Hangzhou. ENVIRONMENTAL CHEMISTRY, 2013, 32(12): 2400-2401.
杭州市PM2.5中碳气溶胶污染特征. 环境化学, 2013, 32(12): 2400-2401.
Invited Book Chapter
41) Jun He, Ke Chen, Jingsha Xu. “Urban Air Pollution Control”. Page: 243-257. In Encyclopedia of Sustainable Technologies, ed. M. Abraham, S. Silkdar, H. Jin, V. Strezov, S. Bandyopadhyay, W. Deng, J.M. Cawley, J. Zoeller. Book ISBN: 9780128046777, eBook ISBN: 9780128047927. Elsevier. 2017.
42) Rajasekhar Balasubramanian, Jun He and Lawrence K. Wang. Chapter 15 “Control, Management, and Treatment of Metal Emissions from Motor Vehicles”. Page: 475-489. In “Heavy Metals in the Environment”, Edited by Lawrence K. Wang, Jiaping Paul Chen, Yung-Tse Hung, and Nazih K. Shammas. Print ISBN: 978-1-4200-7316-4; eBook ISBN: 978-1-4200-7319-5. CRC Press, 2009.
43) Rajasekhar Balasubramanian and Jun He. Chapter 7 “Trace Analysis of Persistent Organic Pollutants in the Air Using Accelerated Solvent Extraction”. Page: 127-144. In “Urban Airborne Particulate Matter: Origins, Chemistry, Fate and Health Impacts”, Edited by Fathi Zereini and Clare L.S. Wiseman. Print ISBN: 978-3-642-12277-4; eBook ISBN: 978-3-642-12278-1. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2010.
44) Rajasekhar Balasubramanian and Jun He. Chapter 14 “Fate and Transfer of Semivolatile Organic Compounds in a Multi-Compartment Environment”. Page: 277-307. In “Urban Airborne Particulate Matter: Origins, Chemistry, Fate and Health Impacts”, Edited by Fathi Zereini and Clare L.S. Wiseman. Print ISBN: 978-3-642-12277-4; eBook ISBN: 978-3-642-12278-1. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2010.
45) Jun He, Jingsha Xu, Honghui Xu, Yujun Jiang. Simultaneous measurement of biomass burning aerosol organic tracers including levoglocusan, mannason and galactosan by LC-MS/MS. Chinese patent. Publication No.: CN106093248A.
46) Yong Ren, Kaiseng Koh, Jun He, Zheng Lian. A wastewater treatment technology. Chinese patent. Publication No.: CN106865676A
47) Yong Ren, Kaiseng Koh, Jun He, Zheng Lian. A preparation method of magnetic microparticles and their application. Chinese patent. Publication No.: CN106938861A
Membership, Editorial and Refereeing Responsibilities
Membership and Editorial Service
The Higher Education Academy, Associate Fellow
Frontiers in Environmental Science: Air Pollution, Editorial board member
Chinese Society of Particuology, Committee Executive Member
Journal of Environmental Geochemistry and Health, Guest Editor
Institution of Chemical Engineers, Affiliate Member
American Chemical Society, Member
American Geophysical Union, Member
Ad hoc Journal Reviews
Aerosol and Air Quality Research, Atmosphere, Analytical Letters, Atmospheric Environment, Atmospheric Research, Chemosphere, Earth and Environmental Sciences, Environmental Geochemistry and Health, Environmental Science and Technology, Environmental Science and Technology Letters, Journal of Atmospheric Chemistry, Journal of Environmental Science, Journal of Environmental Science and Management, Journal of Geographical Research-Atmosphere, Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers, Science of the Total Environment, Talanta
Ad hoc Book Chapter Review
Book chapter: Role of Atmospheric Deposition in Coastal Eutrophication. Invited by the editor Dr Tan Koh Siang, Tropical Marine Science Institute, National University of Singapore. 2012 June.