BEng Mechanical Engineering
Type and duration:
Three or four-year undergraduate
Gaokao requirements (Chinese students):
Score above the first division university entry line
Available part time:
Department: Mechanical, Materials and Manufacturing Engineering
Mechanical engineers apply their scientific knowledge to solving problems and designing machines that help us to enjoy a better lifestyle. They work in every sector of industry, in areas such as design, development, research, consultancy, and manufacture or marketing, combining technical and managerial expertise. Mechanical engineering is the broadest of all the engineering disciplines and graduates find employment in every sector of industry. The course provides an excellent foundation in engineering science and design and also offers opportunities to develop specialist knowledge in areas such automotive and aerospace engineering.
For domestic students the course structure follows the Chinese higher education system and is based on a four-year program with the possibility of spending two years at The University of Nottingham's UK campus.
For international students the course structure follows the UK higher education system and is based on a three-year program with the possibility of spending two years at The University of Nottingham's UK campus.
Year One (This year is not compulsory for students with appropriate qualifications for year two entry)
The preliminary year in engineering aim to improve English language and study skills as well as enhance understanding of mathematics and the physical sciences.
Typical year one modules:
- Undergraduate Reading and Writing in Academic Contexts
- Undergraduate Listening and Speaking in Academic Contexts
- Foundation Science A: Physics
- Algebra for Physical Sciences and Engineering
- Sustainability, Engineering Communication and IT Skills
- Foundation Science B: Chemistry
- Foundation Calculus and Mathematical Techniques
- Undergraduate Academic Oral Presentations
Year two and three provide a good grounding in the broad fundamentals of mechanical engineering science and engineering design. The science subjects studied include thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, solid mechanics, dynamics and electro-mechanical systems. In design, the emphasis is on project work and in both the first and second years, you will undertake a design, make and test project, which you will manufacture in the department's student workshop.
Typical year two modules:
- Engineering Mathematics 1
- Engineering Mathematics 2
- Mechanics of Solids 1
- Electromechanical Systems 1
- Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics 1
- Design and Manufacture 1
- Introduction to Materials and Materials Forming
- Professional Studies
Typical year three modules:
- Computer Programming
- Differential Equations and Calculus for Engineers
- Materials in Design
- Design and Manufacture 2
- Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics 2
- Management Studies 1
- Mechanics of Solids 2
- Mechanics of Solids 3
A major individual project makes up a quarter of your studies. This may involve computational and or experimental investigations often related to research activities within the department. You will also study a mix of compulsory and optional modules, the latter allowing you to tailor the course to your interests.
Typical year four modules:
- Management Studies 2
- BEng Individual Project
- Computer Modelling Techniques
- Group Design Project
- Energy Efficiency for Sustainability 2
- Control and Instrumentation
- Advanced Dynamics of Machines
- Heat Transfer
- Stress Analysis Techniques
- Structural Vibration 2
- Computer Aided Engineering
Careers and future study
Of the 18 undergraduates who graduated from the department in 2014 and continued onto postgraduate studies, 72% were admitted by world top 100 universities according to the 2013-14 QS World University Rankings. Our graduates find job opportunities in a range of sectors, including automotive, energy, manufacturing, railways, design and commerce.
See also Study with us.